Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shout Out To Denny Conn  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
Shout Out To Denny Conn
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm »
I just wanted to shout out to Denny! It was his brewing technique and approach that got me in to all grain.

In fact it was an article in the 2014 March-April issue of BYO by Brad Smith on batch sparging with pictures courtesy of Denny Conn.

I then went to Denny's site where he talked about his mash tun and the process. I loved the laid back approach.

Fast forward, I have built my own mash tun heavily influenced by Denny's site and how too.

Anyway thanks Denny you really got me in to full on all grain brewing and I've been loving it ever since. Also a shout out to your Rye IPA! You Rock!

Brew on! -Jake

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:26:16 pm by Big_Eight »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Shout Out To Denny Conn
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 10:02:27 pm »
I share a similar story. Instead of Brad Smith describing Batch Sparging, for me it was Don Osborn.

When I first began brewing again, I researched various ways to brew. I found some guys doing videos on You Tube: first the guys from Northern Brewer who ‘introduced’ me to Don Osborn (http://www.donosborn.com/) who said he used a Cheap and Easy method called batch sparging and cited some guy named Denny Conn. I needed low entry cost so I checked it out.

I gravitated towards batch sparging fairly quickly because I figured I could do what I saw Don O doing on YouTube (which he learned from Denny). It wasn’t long until I had a blue picnic cooler, a pot and turkey fryer, and a bucket fermenter setup.

Though I’ve added a pump with flow control and distribution, first RIMS now HERMS, induction cooktop and indoor brewery, etc. — the underlying system is still a MLT, kettle, and fermenter based on what I saw on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 10:12:13 pm »
+1 @BrewBama

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 05:42:53 am »
Cheers to this thread!  Where would so many of us be today without Denny?  A looooong time ago, I began mashing in a cooler at Denny's suggestion, and loved the "cheap 'n' easy" concept, which has stuck with me throughout my homebrewing "career" -- even moreso than Denny I'm sure.  I still boil on my stovetop, still don't own and have never used a stirplate or a chiller or countless other needless things.  It helps of course also that I brew smaller batches.  Later on I begin mashing and brewing in a bag (BIAB), but still love to use my old cooler for the occasional bigger batch about once a year.

So yeah.  Kudos to you, man!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 06:06:52 am »
My shout out goes to Genghis Khan, Denny's great, great, great, great, (great? great?) grandfather.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 06:54:56 am »
My shout out goes to Genghis Khan, Denny's great, great, great, great, (great? great?) grandfather.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 07:38:03 am »
Also cheers to Denny!  He has inspired me over he years and has become a great friend!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 07:50:28 am »
Denny ranks up there with Charlie P as an inspiration to join the hobby.  Northern Brewer’s forum and this one got me into the conversation.  Now we have so many sources of information, that the average homebrewer can get whatever question he or she may have quickly answered with reliability.  Thanks to all skill levels for keeping this going!  But special thanks to Denny.  Once the podcast hit and I could hear his voice, I now impute that voice to each post he makes.  Cool, man!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 08:49:54 am »
Wow, how humbling.  I'm tearing up.  Thank you all so much. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 09:34:27 am »
It was Denny's fault 😉 that I started writing and submitting articles to Zymurgy ( and BYO).
Thanks Denny.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 10:04:46 am »
same with me in the mid 2000's. His championing of batch sparging made homebrewing so much easier for me. Not sure I would have kept going if it wasnt for him.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 12:52:34 pm »
The first book I read when beginning my home brewing journey was Experimental Brewing. I thought it was going to be some weird and wild stuff. Maybe it was for the times, but I still gleaned a lot of useful information which helped me along the path. So not only does Denny get a should out, but Drew as well. Thanks to both of you.

Denny.... I don't believe many of the forums would be the same if you did not have a presence on them.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
When I started home brewing around 2003, I was doing full boil extract batches on a turkey fryer. I learned about Denny and his website from the Tasty Brew forum. I remember thinking, wow I don’t have to go out and buy some fancy equipment because I had a cooler and braided supply line at home. I still use that cooler today and I’ve made some minor improvements on other equipment over the years, but basically the same set up. Cheers to Denny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 03:21:28 pm »
Denny, you're the man, man. 🍺

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 04:46:26 pm »
+1 on the shout out to Denny, to whom I'd say I also owe a debt of gratitude. I have MANY times referred to Denny as a source of inspiration and information when talking with fellow brewers about techniques and approaches they might consider adopting, and Denny's embrace of the simple has fit well with my own journey into brewing. Cheers to you Mr. Conn!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.