Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What’s your preferred mash ph For a Helles be it at mash temp or room temp  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
I have liked goin 5.3-5.4 room temp to achieve about 5.1 5.2 mash temp, anyone else like other ranges, and what about boil ph?

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
5.3 +/- .1 room temp mash pH only those grains that require mash.  When the mash is complete I add those grains that don’t require mash which changes everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:35:18 am by BrewBama »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
I shoot for 5.2 but find my mash ph drifts towards 5.3-5.4

Offline ynotbrusum

Like the others - 5.2 to 5.4 per calculator, rarely measured due to laziness. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
5.7-5.8 at room temp (which would be about 5.5 at mash temp).  I know I aim higher than most, because I'm crazy like that.  Actual reason is, I just really hate tartness.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
5.7-5.8 at room temp (which would be about 5.5 at mash temp).  I know I aim higher than most, because I'm crazy like that.  Actual reason is, I just really hate tartness.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone else mashing that high for a pale lager. Not intentionally anyway.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy

That's interesting. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone else mashing that high for a pale lager. Not intentionally anyway.

My last two batches came out great.  Efficiency was a little low though.  I'll play around with it a little more over the next half dozen or so batches.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
pH is always measured at room temp or thereabouts, it's really never measured at high temps. No pH meter would last long if used at high temps; the glass is very delicate. Thus, it really only makes sense to talk about room-temp values. That said, I don't measure pH anymore. Used to, but I have a good enough feel for where I'm at in the range best for mashing based on the grist.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
pH is always measured at room temp or thereabouts, it's really never measured at high temps. No pH meter would last long if used at high temps; the glass is very delicate. Thus, it really only makes sense to talk about room-temp values. That said, I don't measure pH anymore. Used to, but I have a good enough feel for where I'm at in the range best for mashing based on the grist.

I measure mine at mash temperature and add 0.25 to convert to room temp.  Cuz I'm crazy like that.  :)
Dave

Offline RC

• Brewmaster

I measure mine at mash temperature and add 0.25 to convert to room temp.  Cuz I'm crazy like that.  :)

Be careful. Next thing you know, you'll be first-wort hopping or whatnot. Measuring pH at mash temp is a gateway process.

Regardless of the temp it's measured at, reported pH values are based on room-temp-ish measurements (unless I'm seriously mistaken, which has been known to happen). This standardizes them, as well as lengthens the lifespan of pH meters (except for dmtaylors' :-P) So when we talk about an optimum pH range for the mash from 5.2 to 5.7 or whatever, we're talking about pH values measured at room temp.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
5.2 for saison, 5.3-5.4 for lagers and most ales, 5.6 for stout and porter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online BrewBama

… I don't measure pH anymore. Used to, but I have a good enough feel for where I'm at in the range best for mashing based on the grist.

I am almost there. I am mashing my 7th batch using G Strong’s method and if it is 5.3 +/- .1 likes all the others have been I am probably not going to waste time checking anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I shoot for 5.2 but find my mash ph drifts towards 5.3-5.4

I believe Martin has noted that's a pretty normal thing to see.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
pH is always measured at room temp or thereabouts, it's really never measured at high temps. No pH meter would last long if used at high temps; the glass is very delicate.

+1.  You will shorten the life of the probe in the pH meter by measuring at mash temperature.  Take a sample cool it to below 80 degrees and measure it.  I get about 3 years out of a probe this way.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
pH is always measured at room temp or thereabouts, it's really never measured at high temps. No pH meter would last long if used at high temps; the glass is very delicate.

+1.  You will shorten the life of the probe in the pH meter by measuring at mash temperature.  Take a sample cool it to below 80 degrees and measure it.  I get about 3 years out of a probe this way.

I've been using my same old Chinese junker in the hot mash on almost every batch for about 5 years now.  Still on my first one.  Granted, I don't brew as often as I used to, so that's only like 20 batches total (not counting the ~dozen duplicates where I split the wort to try 2 different yeasts in or whatever).  But the thing still works and calibrates.  Nice thing about the cheap junk is that whenever it finally does break, I won't feel bad about just buying another new one for like $10.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33253.msg424423#msg424423
Dave