Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: plasticky off flavor  (Read 5260 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: plasticky off flavor
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2021, 02:44:54 pm »
One tricky thing is the pH doesn't matter as much as alkalinity. Alkalinity is the buffering capacity. So it's like the difference between a dump truck and a VW beetle. They can both go 50mph but one is going to have to push a lot harder to get there.

In the same way water with high alkalinity will tend to push your mash to a higher pH than water with a lower alkalinity, regardless of the initial water pH. When I was in Missouri I had a well with off the charts alkalinity but the pH was normal.

I love my little KH titration kit, takes most of the guesswork out of it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2021, 05:40:19 pm »
I wouldn't say the off flavor will worsen necessarily. If it is a wild or stressed yeast you could think of it as a hefeweizen or Belgian yeast that through out its flavors and then was done. I recently woke up a Kviek strain that was slumbering in a hoppy yeast slurry for a year and while it fermented wonderfully it had a phenolic off flavor very similiar to a hefewezien but in a way that I could not enjoy. Prettty certain it was the yeast. It never got any better

Major, your situation has spurred me to consider a thorough dumping of old yeast that I have on hand.  I don't mind pitching a fresh re-pitch, as I can taste the beer from which it is derived to assure QC, but after storing long term, I worry about phenolics, petit mutants and wild yeast characters infiltrating.  Out the old ones will go this weekend.

I toss old yeast slurries after they hit about 8 months of age, seems a good threshold here based on my own experience over the years.  A year is too long, too dead -- whatever survives that long without special treatment is too likely NOT to be the yeast you started with, but too likely to be something else entirely.  At least, if you're as lazy about storing yeast as I am.

Dave - 100% agree! It was because it was the fantabulous and fabled Kveik yeast that I tried it. In fact that was a first and I have been brewing for over 20 years.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 04:54:55 pm »
The off flavor has disappeared much more than I would expect in the last few day. Very happy about that. Still need to dive into my water more too mitigate further issues.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:19:06 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2021, 03:10:06 pm »
My current batch is ready to be kegged and it appears the campden took care of the problem. The kolsch did not improve but hasn’t worsened. It’s just a place filler for now. Thanks for all of the help. I will probably move to RO water soon.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2021, 04:08:30 pm »
I’ve been looking at the DIY RO setups at the big box stores. Some seem to be competitively priced. I just can’t get over wasting 2-3 gal water to get 1 gal RO.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2021, 05:00:29 pm »
I’ve been looking at the DIY RO setups at the big box stores. Some seem to be competitively priced. I just can’t get over wasting 2-3 gal water to get 1 gal RO.

Yep. Me too. If you coud figure out a way to plumb the waste water for toilets or dish washing or something .... probably above your pay grade. ;)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2021, 07:19:35 pm »
I just can’t get over wasting 2-3 gal water to get 1 gal RO.

Yeah for the time being at least, this would be extremely hard to justify in the Sacramento area, where I live, or anywhere in CA, or the western US for that matter.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2021, 06:53:30 am »
I've used RO in the past but don't think it's worth futzing with on balance. Denver tap water is pretty good once you take care of the chlorine. It's pretty much perfect for pale ale. It's a bit hard and alkaline but fine for most styles.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 01:04:55 pm »
It's a lot of wasted water, but in the grand scheme of things maybe not terrible. My understanding is that commercial breweries run around 10 gallons per gallon of beer produced (give or take quite a bit). Home brewers probably use more. So an extra 2 - 3 times the actual "beer water" pretty small in comparison to the total water used. (I know the math here is a little funky, but you get the idea.)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:44:52 pm by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2021, 07:45:05 pm »
It's a lot of wasted water, but in the grand scheme of things maybe not terrible. My understanding is that commercial breweries run around 10 gallons per gallon of beer produced (give or take quite a bit). Home brewers probably use more. So an extra 2 - 3 times the actual "beer water" pretty small in comparison to the total water used. (I know the math here is a little funky, but you get the idea.)

I've only ever heard of a 3-1 waste in commercial breweries. That said, I only know of a couple who use RO and they used the waste water to clean. wouldn't be surprised if some have much higher waste.

FYI, neuse: I accidentally hit "modify" instead of quote on your post. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't change anything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:47:16 pm by majorvices »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2021, 08:06:57 am »
FYI, neuse: I accidentally hit "modify" instead of quote on your post. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't change anything.

Just don't hit the Mega Ban Hammer button again like Drew did last week.  ;D

The hazards with mods on a beer site is that they tend to drink on the job
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2021, 08:41:31 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2021, 09:27:15 am »

Just don't hit the Mega Ban Hammer button again like Drew did last week.  ;D

Hey, hey...not ALL of us!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell