Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging Sans Cleaning  (Read 720 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Kegging Sans Cleaning
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:11:47 am »
A couple months ago I wanted to get an IPA kegged on a weekend morning but also had other things I wanted to get to. I knew that the biggest time suck would be cleaning and sanitizing a keg. I had a keg of IPA that had recently kicked and thought what the heck, that keg is sanitary and purged and I know that only a little beer and sediment gets left behind so I just kegged into that. I am now on my third IPA in a row.
Anyone else do this? Any problems?
I wouldn’t do a lager after a stout or anything like that, and I would say after three the sediment might be too much.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kegging Sans Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:38:35 am »
I have not kegged right on top of sediment but I have taken the shortcut of simply dumping the old sediment, rinsing well with hot water, filling with no foam sanitizer, purging with CO2, and closed transferring into the purged keg. (Skipped the disassemble and thorough keg cleaning). I had no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Kegging Sans Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:42:22 pm »
I have taken the shortcut of simply dumping the old sediment, rinsing well with hot water, filling with no foam sanitizer, purging with CO2, and closed transferring into the purged keg. (Skipped the disassemble and thorough keg cleaning). I had no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done the same without any problems. It's something we can get away with because we're racking finished beer into the keg and then cold-crashing. It's a situation that is not conducive to microbial growth...within reason, of course.

Dry-hopped beers might be a little different. I can rinse a kicked keg of IPA until it seems sparkling clean, but then when I CIP it with hot cleanser, the solution immediately turns greenish-yellow, indicating that there is plenty of hop gunk stuck to the walls and bottom of the keg. This gunk will of course interfere with the work of a sanitizer.

But like you said, the keg was sani'd to begin with and so it's probably not an issue.