Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rahr North Star Pilsner  (Read 1597 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Rahr North Star Pilsner
« on: June 06, 2021, 06:05:45 am »
Wondering if anyone on this forum has brewed with Rahr North Star Pilsner Malt? Thinking about brewing with this malt.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Rahr North Star Pilsner
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:02:39 am »
No, but am keenly interested in it .I would love to find a domestic pils malt that could replace barke pils for me

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:21:11 pm »
Barke Pils is a good malt. I've tried the following US malt with good results: Mecca Pelton Pilsner and Briess Synergy Select Pilsen Malt. Soon I hope to brew with Rahr North Star Pilsner malt. I guess I need to brew with all of these for comparison to see which malt I like for different types of Lager Beers.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:20 am »
This is going to sound weird, but my impression after brewing a few different lagers with a sack of Rahr North Star Pils, is that I preferred it when blended with some Proximity Pale Ale malt (the two row that I happened to have on hand).  On its own, the NS Pils seemed a bit too rich for a straight Pilsner or Helles.  Maybe that descriptor is not apt here - but I can't pinpoint the word choice to describe the flavors I perceived when Rahr North Star Pils was used solo or in combination with just a touch of Carahell for a Helles. 

Definitely give it a go, as you may really like the richness from it, but I prefer the Weyermann Barke Pils, if going with a straight pilsner malt based beer.

I think that I simply prefer the slight graininess that I get when balancing the lager beers with both a pale 2 row and Rahr North Star Pils in the grist.

Or I could just be fooling myself (known to happen!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:50:52 pm »
This is going to sound weird, but my impression after brewing a few different lagers with a sack of Rahr North Star Pils, is that I preferred it when blended with some Proximity Pale Ale malt (the two row that I happened to have on hand).  On its own, the NS Pils seemed a bit too rich for a straight Pilsner or Helles.  Maybe that descriptor is not apt here - but I can't pinpoint the word choice to describe the flavors I perceived when Rahr North Star Pils was used solo or in combination with just a touch of Carahell for a Helles. 

Definitely give it a go, as you may really like the richness from it, but I prefer the Weyermann Barke Pils, if going with a straight pilsner malt based beer.

I think that I simply prefer the slight graininess that I get when balancing the lager beers with both a pale 2 row and Rahr North Star Pils in the grist.

Or I could just be fooling myself (known to happen!)

I think a rich sounding pils sounds good. Thats why I prefer Barke over other pils, it has a more distinct "rich white bread" flavor versus a slight husky graininess I get from other pils malts

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:33:22 pm »
I like the rich malt flavor from Barke Pilsner too that's why I like Mecca Pelton Pilsner and Briess Synergy Select Pilsen Malt.