Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked quinoa substitute?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Flaked quinoa substitute?
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:52:15 am »
Thought I'd give this (http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe/) West Coast IPA a go but only place I can find flaked quinoa is amazon and the stuff is nearly $16/pound. I'm more of a cheapskate than I am a brewmaster and I know even less about modifying recipes. What would y'all replace the quinoa with, if anything?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Flaked quinoa substitute?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:30 am »
I have no idea what flaked quinoa brings, but I would most likely use flaked oats. Also Scott Janish in the comments discuss flaked oats.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:34:17 am »
Maybe just get some quinoa at your local health food store and boil it to gelatinize it? Or pressure cook it? That's all they do with the flaked stuff like oats except the roll it flat and dry it.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:27:03 am »
Also Scott Janish in the comments discuss flaked oats.

Huh.. the comments don't show up for me at the link I posted. Looks like this might be a newer link. Thanks!: http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe-2/

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:32 am »
Maybe just get some quinoa at your local health food store and boil it to gelatinize it? Or pressure cook it? That's all they do with the flaked stuff like oats except the roll it flat and dry it.

Yeah, that would be an option I guess. I'll probably just go with the oats. Sounds like Scott used flaked spelt with "great results" so sounds like it's not too big a deal.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 09:02:11 am »
I'm a frugal brewer too.  There's no need to substitute anything.  Just cook the specified amount of quinoa until soft and add to the mash.  I was doing this with rice before flaked rice was commonly available.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 03:44:33 am »
I'm a frugal brewer too.  There's no need to substitute anything.  Just cook the specified amount of quinoa until soft and add to the mash.  I was doing this with rice before flaked rice was commonly available.

Good to know. Why pre-cook it? Doesn't a 60 minute mash achieve the same results?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 08:44:35 am »

Good to know. Why pre-cook it? Doesn't a 60 minute mash achieve the same results?

Nope.  You need to cook it to gelatinize the starches and make then available to the mash.  Although some grains gelatinze at mash temps, not all do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 05:30:10 am »
This beer turned out amazing! Substituing oats for the quinoa doesn't seem to have detracted from the award winning qualities. Pic is here https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3331.msg464007#msg464007 in the "Pics of recent brews" thread.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 08:55:13 am »
Awesome!