Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: secrets or opinions on english grists  (Read 2656 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
secrets or opinions on english grists
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:03:11 am »
ive made english-intended beers, bitters, strong ales, just "ales", porters, etc

does anyone have any favourite "english" grists or tricks?

my well improved bitter recipe is looking like 94% golden promise(?) 3% crystal 120, 3% crystal 60 with WLP007 and 1.042OG/ 45 IBU

using WLP007 so not adding any sugar to it.

i will say i am not a massive fan of maris otter. im trying golden promise to see if i like it.

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
Re: secrets or opinions on english grists
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:02:46 am »
ive made english-intended beers, bitters, strong ales, just "ales", porters, etc

my well improved bitter recipe is looking like 94% golden promise(?) 3% crystal 120, 3% crystal 60 with WLP007 and 1.042OG/ 45 IBU

i will say i am not a massive fan of maris otter. im trying golden promise to see if i like it.
We definitely have liked Golden Promise better than MO for our stout and esb.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:08:27 am »
I've had great success with Ron Patterson's Book "The Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beers". 

His blog is well worth your gander too

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:10:39 am by majorvices »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:02 am »

thanks, looks like i will have to give it a try.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:04:10 am »
Personally, Crisp MO is my go-to, but if you don't like MO, then try Vienna, GP, or a Pale Ale malt (Dingemans has worked well for me) as alternatives for your base malt. I do find that a flavorful Pale Ale malt carries a lot of the flavor, so definitely find one you enjoy.

Torrified wheat at about 10-15% of the grist adds a nice nuttiness if that works in the recipe you're brewing.

English styles actually run a wide spectrum. Try different yeasts and base malts to see what you like, then dial in your recipes and process from there. I use 1469 the most, but I also enjoy 1968, WLP013 and Winsor/Notty, and I have others on my wish list that I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 11:43:13 am »

thanks, looks like i will have to give it a try.

Keep in mind that GP is just a barley variety.  It's what the maltster does with it that really makes the difference. I prefer Simpson's GP to Fawcett.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:08:28 pm »
Personally, Crisp MO is my go-to, but if you don't like MO, then try Vienna, GP, or a Pale Ale malt (Dingemans has worked well for me) as alternatives for your base malt. I do find that a flavorful Pale Ale malt carries a lot of the flavor, so definitely find one you enjoy.

Torrified wheat at about 10-15% of the grist adds a nice nuttiness if that works in the recipe you're brewing.

English styles actually run a wide spectrum. Try different yeasts and base malts to see what you like, then dial in your recipes and process from there. I use 1469 the most, but I also enjoy 1968, WLP013 and Winsor/Notty, and I have others on my wish list that I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

yup, thats what i've decided i'm working on this brew-year. really keeping it simple in recipe formulation. torrified wheat - i better try it at some point finally.

isn't 1469 a PITA to deal with? is it relatively forgiving? what do you think about WLP007?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 02:12:47 pm »

yup, thats what i've decided i'm working on this brew-year. really keeping it simple in recipe formulation. torrified wheat - i better try it at some point finally.

isn't 1469 a PITA to deal with? is it relatively forgiving? what do you think about WLP007?

For me, 1469 is super easy and forgiving in my experience. I brew 2.5-gallon batches, and pitch 1 pack without a starter in pretty much all my recipes with it (typically in the 1.040 range, but I've gone up to the mid 1.060's OG). Even though it is a Yorkshire yeast, it doesn't require the heavy oxygenation that other Yorkshire strains require. I don't add any supplemental oxygen, or even aeration for that matter. I let the wort splash as I drain into my fermentation keg, pitch, seal the keg, and let her go.

WLP007 is pretty clean to me. It's great for West Coast IPA, but I prefer more esters in my English ales. I've only used it a couple of times, so don't take my wordas gospel on that one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 08:38:54 pm »
I know stone’s house yeast was 007 if it not anymore and their specialty is west coast ipa. I’m no English style brewer but I think something with more character might be a good touch.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 05:53:46 am »
I have been using WY1469 a lot and do not find it at all difficult, in fact it has been a consistent performer. When I first started using it I gave the wort extra aeration but the last two times I just used the aeration from running the wort into the fermenter like Eric mentioned and I didn’t see a difference.
I use a couple simple grist formulations. I like MO and recently used Simpson’s GP for the first time and liked that too. However what I have used most is a pale ale malt, specifically from my local master, Valley Malt. I almost always do 99% base malt and 1% black malt for color or 95% base and 5% 60L crystal. The former is inspired by Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, the latter by Whitbread IPA.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 02:47:42 pm »
"does anyone have any favourite "english" grists or tricks?"

Yes, use sugar.

I just tapped my latest British ale this past weekend, and it is quite tasty. 85% Simpson's Maris Otter, 10% Lyle's Golden syrup, 5% Hugh Baird Carastan. A little inverted sugar gives a nice toffee flavor that pairs well with the dirt hops.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 03:17:25 pm »

Yes, use sugar.

I just tapped my latest British ale this past weekend, and it is quite tasty. 85% Simpson's Maris Otter, 10% Lyle's Golden syrup, 5% Hugh Baird Carastan. A little inverted sugar gives a nice toffee flavor that pairs well with the dirt hops.

Agree ... also, Ron Patterson's book/blog. ;)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 03:18:45 pm »

Yes, use sugar.

i have been off and on in my recipe formulation about using some sugar in the planned british brews. might do it.

lol carastan, haven't heard that malt in quite a while.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 07:34:32 am »
English malted barley. Invert sugar #3 or #2. Very little crystal malt.

English hops but brewers there also imported plenty of hops from America and continental Europe.

I have used S-04 and don't care for it. Switched to Wyeast 1099 for several years and have lately been experimenting with Imperial A-09 and A01 with satisfactory results. I'll need to do a side by side comparison  between these and 1099 at some point.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 09:36:52 am »

Yes, use sugar.

you sure the dirt flavor isnt from from so many of the english hops we get stateside being past their prime? I know this sounds semantic, but I have tasted earthiness in hops, and then straight dirt flavor from hops, and the difference seemed to be hop freshness.