Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: secrets or opinions on english grists  (Read 2655 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: secrets or opinions on english grists
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 09:38:45 am »
English malted barley. Invert sugar #3 or #2. Very little crystal malt.

English hops but brewers there also imported plenty of hops from America and continental Europe.

I have used S-04 and don't care for it. Switched to Wyeast 1099 for several years and have lately been experimenting with Imperial A-09 and A01 with satisfactory results. I'll need to do a side by side comparison  between these and 1099 at some point.

Agree with everything here. That said, the imported American hops were probably nothing like our fruity/citrusy/tropical hops that are popuar today and were probably more herbal and flowery.

I definitely do not care for any of the Dry English ale yeasts I have tried, and I really don't care for So4 at all. I think WY1099 may be my new favorite English Ale yeast
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:41:46 am by majorvices »

Online chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 11:24:13 am »
"does anyone have any favourite "english" grists or tricks?"

Yes, use sugar.

I just tapped my latest British ale this past weekend, and it is quite tasty. 85% Simpson's Maris Otter, 10% Lyle's Golden syrup, 5% Hugh Baird Carastan. A little inverted sugar gives a nice toffee flavor that pairs well with the dirt hops.

you sure the dirt flavor isnt from from so many of the english hops we get stateside being past their prime? I know this sounds semantic, but I have tasted earthiness in hops, and then straight dirt flavor from hops, and the difference seemed to be hop freshness.

I don't distinguish a difference between "earthiness" and "dirt" flavor. That said, a reasonably fresh bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier has the classic Fuggles dirt hop flavor that I have been able to replicate in clone attempts.

My scale for English dirt hop flavor, in terms of most to less pronounced, would be:

Bramling Cross - Fuggles - Target - Challenger - Northdown

FYI, unlike Denny, I like the flavor of dirt hops. And, EKGs have no dirt hop flavor at all (to my taste buds).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 11:35:31 am »

Yes, use sugar.

I just tapped my latest British ale this past weekend, and it is quite tasty. 85% Simpson's Maris Otter, 10% Lyle's Golden syrup, 5% Hugh Baird Carastan. A little inverted sugar gives a nice toffee flavor that pairs well with the dirt hops.

you sure the dirt flavor isnt from from so many of the english hops we get stateside being past their prime? I know this sounds semantic, but I have tasted earthiness in hops, and then straight dirt flavor from hops, and the difference seemed to be hop freshness.

I don't distinguish a difference between "earthiness" and "dirt" flavor. That said, a reasonably fresh bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier has the classic Fuggles dirt hop flavor that I have been able to replicate in clone attempts.

My scale for English dirt hop flavor, in terms of most to less pronounced, would be:

FYI, unlike Denny, I like the flavor of dirt hops. And, EKGs have no dirt hop flavor at all (to my taste buds).

I have heard EKG referred to as having a "candy" flavor....pretty vague.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 12:51:16 pm »

Yes, use sugar.

I have heard EKG referred to as having a "candy" flavor....pretty vague.
I get black tea above all from EKG.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 07:29:47 pm »

I get black tea above all from EKG.

definitely black tea and mild herbal/thyme.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 08:52:42 am »

English hops but brewers there also imported plenty of hops from America and continental Europe.

I have used S-04 and don't care for it. Switched to Wyeast 1099 for several years and have lately been experimenting with Imperial A-09 and A01 with satisfactory results. I'll need to do a side by side comparison  between these and 1099 at some point.

Agree with everything here. That said, the imported American hops were probably nothing like our fruity/citrusy/tropical hops that are popuar today and were probably more herbal and flowery.

I definitely do not care for any of the Dry English ale yeasts I have tried, and I really don't care for So4 at all. I think WY1099 may be my new favorite English Ale yeast

When I did the Fuller's tour in London, they had boxes and boxes of Liberty hops from Hopsteiner in the storeroom. I don't remember if I asked which beer they used them in.

I flummoxed the tour guide when I asked him about whether 1968 was their yeast. He was sure it had never been propagated outside the brewery.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »

When I did the Fuller's tour in London, they had boxes and boxes of Liberty hops from Hopsteiner in the storeroom. I don't remember if I asked which beer they used them in.

I flummoxed the tour guide when I asked him about whether 1968 was their yeast. He was sure it had never been propagated outside the brewery.

I'm talking historically, which may not be appropriate for this discussion. Regarding 1968 -- never trust a tour guides BS. ;)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:51 am »
I'm talking historically, which may not be appropriate for this discussion. Regarding 1968 -- never trust a tour guides BS. ;)

Oh, I didn't.  ;)
I really wanted to ask him about the cask breathers I could hear in the tasting room, but he was pouring samples of everything, so why make him upset?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 02:14:46 pm »

Oh, I didn't.  ;)
I really wanted to ask him about the cask breathers I could hear in the tasting room, but he was pouring samples of everything, so why make him upset?
That’s just being smart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk