Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water for BDSA  (Read 1193 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Water for BDSA
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:16:37 pm »
Hey fellow brewers, here are my water salts additions for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale I am going to brew soon. For those of you who adjust their water and for those who have experience brewing belgian style beers, please let me know your opinions on these additions and also your preferences for water when brewing this style

Ca:65 ppm
CaSO4: 56
CaCl2: 82
Na:57
Bi: 80
Alk: 65

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Water for BDSA
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:59:40 pm »
Are you starting with ro water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 04:41:26 am »
Are you starting with ro water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote

Yes, RO water.
I don't think it matters what source water one uses to start with as long as they know what is already present in that source water.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:43:43 am by HopDen »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:09:29 am »
Keep it simple. You don't need to add SO4. Can't comment on the alkalinity because I don't know your grist, but I just use dark syrup and do a pils mash for my BDS, so no alkalinity needed.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:36:06 am »
Keep it simple. You don't need to add SO4. Can't comment on the alkalinity because I don't know your grist, but I just use dark syrup and do a pils mash for my BDS, so no alkalinity needed.

this. If you are starting with RO water, get your sulfates and chlorides in line with calcium sulfate and calcium chloride and then use either an acid or an alkalanizer to get your mash ph right. Everything else will take care of itself if you do that.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:50:46 am »
In my BDSA the color comes from the candi syrup so the mash profile is for a light colored, malty beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 04:08:37 pm »

Point taken but here is the grain bill.
45# Pilsen 1.6 SRM
5# Cara-pils 2.0 SRM
5# Munich 5.5SRM
2# Aromatic 19 SRM
2# Special B 180 SRM
Acid Malt
 D90 & D180

So with this grain bill, in your opinion, do I still need to forget about added alkalinity? I was emulating  belgian water profiles from the book Brew Like A Monk.

Also, I use BS3 to calculate my recipes. I went and deleted the SO4 to see how it affected the balance and it changed from malty to extremely malty.
I know I could reduce the amount of CL2 to bring it back to just malty but what is the reason for eliminating the SO4?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 04:33:10 pm »
There's no need for acid malt and adding alkalinity. Those are at cross purposes. I would target 50-60ppm of calcium from CaCl. As far as the SO4, what's your reason for adding it? I tend to not add things without a clear idea of why I'm adding them but if it's a recipe that's worked for you in the past trust your experience.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 05:14:09 pm »
There's no need for acid malt and adding alkalinity. Those are at cross purposes. I would target 50-60ppm of calcium from CaCl. As far as the SO4, what's your reason for adding it? I tend to not add things without a clear idea of why I'm adding them but if it's a recipe that's worked for you in the past trust your experience.

All of this
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 05:51:26 pm »

I appreciate the response. I would say balance and add a touch of dryness to this style of beer. A dryness/sweetnees balance. Really no other reason other than I always add both CaCL2 and CaSO4 to my recipes. I think it also enhances the hop bitterness, again adding a balance in whole.

I will play around with BS3 and see what it looks like on paper. Thanks again!!
Feel free to correct anything I stated too!! Brewing is a constant learning curve and as I stated a few weeks ago, Belgian beers are low on my brewing history so anything you can share is very much appreciated!