Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine Braggot and request for braggot recipes  (Read 6479 times)

Offline cellarman

• 1st Kit
Barleywine Braggot and request for braggot recipes
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:37 pm »
Anyone willing to share braggot recipes?

I brewed a "Barleywine Braggot" and received good reviews at a recent club meeting. Now I have the bug and have decided to see how many styles I can bastardize by making them as braggots. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Old Ale, Wee Heavy, and ESB might be good candidates.

The following recipe was inspired by "Hard & Hardy" from Brewing Classic Styles, "Hefty Braggot" from The Compleat Meadmaker and the Ken Schramm interview on the Mead episode of The Jamil Show on The Brewing Network.

Conversion to all-grain would be straight-forward. Just check the references above. All you need is there. Basically sub an equivalent amount of Maris Otter for the DME.

Actual OG was 1.126 and FG was 1.025. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 13%. Pitch a lot of yeast!
Leave out the raisins or maybe add to the fermenter instead of the kettle. I didn't use a sack and transfer from the kettle added and hour and a half to my brew day...and I can't taste them.

Recipe: Barleywine Braggot
Brewer: Brian Routt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Braggot
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.103 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
3 lbs         DME Extra Light (Muntons) (3.0 SRM)       Dry Extract  18.60 %       
3 lbs         DME Extra Light (Muntons) (3.0 SRM)       Dry Extract  18.60 %       
10.1 oz       Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM)      Grain        3.91 %       
8.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)    Grain        3.10 %       
1.00 oz       Northern Brewer [7.60 %]  (60 min)        Hops         30.7 IBU     
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %]  (60 min)    Hops         21.8 IBU     
1.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %]  (30 min)    Hops         16.7 IBU     
1.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %]  (0 min) (AroHops          -           
2.00 lb       Raisins (Boil 15.0 min)                   Misc                       
9 lbs         Honey-Raspberry (3.0 SRM)                 Sugar        55.80 %       
2 Pkgs        London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [Starter 4Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Yeast Starter:
Started one vile in a 2000ml honey starter. Settled, decanted clear wort. Added a 2000ml extract starter.
Pitched this starter + 1 vile to cool wort.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Routt
Ann Arbor Brewer's Guild