Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone know of a drill adapter for a grain mill?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Anyone know of a drill adapter for a grain mill?
« on: June 18, 2021, 03:56:51 pm »
The shaft on my grain mill is slowly getting buggered up (https://imgur.com/a/Yfh4orh)  from the drill chuck periodically slipping. Anyone know if there's an adapter of sorts that is similar to the way the handle locks on with the set screw, but has a 3/8" hex/shaft or something on the other end for a drill chuck?  I'd rather bugger up an adapter than the drive shaft for the mill.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Anyone know of a drill adapter for a grain mill?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 09:47:12 pm »
Use a file to deburr the shaft of your mill. After that, make sure the chuck is very tight.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 05:54:18 am »
Use a file to deburr the shaft of your mill. After that, make sure the chuck is very tight.

+1 ^

If your drill is scaring the shaft of your mill, it’s most likely because the chuck is not tight enough or something hard is getting lodged in the rollers.  Clean up the shaft with a file as Bob suggests.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 06:20:33 am »

+1 ^

If your drill is scaring the shaft of your mill, it’s most likely because the chuck is not tight enough or something hard is getting lodged in the rollers.  Clean up the shaft with a file as Bob suggests.

Emory Cloth really helps when cleaning up a shaft too. Files make quick work of the really rough spots but Emory Cloth smooths it all out more easily.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 11:02:17 am »
   I had that problem frequently, even when using a pair of pliers on the chuck key to get reeeeeealy tight. The shaft on my mill has one flat side, I eventually got a file and filed two more flat sides as close to evenly spaced as possible - no more slipping and much smoother operation as with only one flat the whole thing was out of balance.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 05:21:03 pm »
   I had that problem frequently, even when using a pair of pliers on the chuck key to get reeeeeealy tight. The shaft on my mill has one flat side, I eventually got a file and filed two more flat sides as close to evenly spaced as possible - no more slipping and much smoother operation as with only one flat the whole thing was out of balance.

My drill is probably crappy. It doesn't have a chuck key but tightens by hand. I don't think it's really intended for use with cylindrical arbors. All the bits that came with it have a hex shank like you fashioned. I ordered what appears to be a 3/8" extension with a couple of set screws on the end: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UKVBG

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 07:19:17 am »
This is one of the most useful of the bells and whistles on the Monster Mill I just upgraded to - there are three flat sections on the shaft that your drill can tighten down on, which keeps it from slipping.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 08:05:01 am »
I eventually went with a 1/2 hp mill motor and Lovejoy spider connection on the shaft.  I have been as happy with that as any upgrade I have ever made to my brewing equipment.  That was done probably 8 years ago....

https://allamericanaleworks.com/collections/grain-mill-motors/products/l075-series-lovejoy-shaft-coupler-components

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:34:57 am »
I eventually went with a 1/2 hp mill motor and Lovejoy spider connection on the shaft.  I have been as happy with that as any upgrade I have ever made to my brewing equipment.  That was done probably 8 years ago....

https://allamericanaleworks.com/collections/grain-mill-motors/products/l075-series-lovejoy-shaft-coupler-components

This is a great! Can you post a pic of your motor setup? Wondering if you just have it mounted to a table or board or what.

On another note, the extension I ordered has a .385" inside diameter. When I measured the grain mill shaft more closely it's diameter is .393". I really don't want to file the mill shaft down to fit (would probably work OK though) and modifying the ID of the adapter is tricky (used a drill press, vise, HSS drill, lube and super slow spindle speed).  Out of the box, the extension won't fit the mill shaft though. So be aware of this if anyone is finding this post at a later date.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:46:17 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 07:59:49 pm »
Here’s the mounting on a table….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 08:03:41 pm »
Guess it didn’t show correctly…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

Anyone know of a drill adapter for a grain mill?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 10:21:53 pm »

On another note, the extension I ordered has a .385" inside diameter. When I measured the grain mill shaft more closely it's diameter is .393". I really don't want to file the mill shaft down to fit (would probably work OK though) and modifying the ID of the adapter is tricky (used a drill press, vise, HSS drill, lube and super slow spindle speed).  Out of the box, the extension won't fit the mill shaft though. So be aware of this if anyone is finding this post at a later date.
You can’t find a larger size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:21:30 am by BrewBama »

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 06:45:44 am »

I replaced my, poorly operating, old mill with a Monster Mill and this motor, and agree with ynotbrusum, it is a valued part of my brewroom. I consider it one of those "buy once, cry once" purchases. There have been zero problems, and that's a huge improvement from what I had before.

Brewbama is right, it is "big enough."  ;)
Roger

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 07:00:54 am »

On another note, the extension I ordered has a .385" inside diameter. When I measured the grain mill shaft more closely it's diameter is .393". ...
You can’t find a larger size?

Nah, it's an extension for a Forstner bit. I suppose the shanks on those are ground to 3/8" (or maybe 1/2" on larger diameters) so they add a little wiggle room on the ID of the extension. I'm kind of surpised they used 25/64" on the mill shaft but it's probably like that to fit a standard motor coupling.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 07:26:16 am »
Whoops, never mind my previous post. I thought Brewbama was making a joke about the size of the motor.
Roger