Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No zinc in beer  (Read 1830 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: No zinc in beer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 12:51:05 pm »
Next batch will use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient for first time
Simple and cheap enough to try.

I have used it for years. Works well.

+1.  It is good insurance since I too use RO water to brew with and build my water profiles for the specific beer I am brewing.  I even put a pinch of yeast nutrient in my starters.

Thanks, good to know.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 03:02:36 pm »
My experience and research indicates that there can be problems when brewing with pure waters like RO and distilled. Including trace elements like zinc and copper do improve fermentation and finishing. When added in the proper trace amounts, they are imperceptible to drinkers.

Also oddly enough, the highly dreaded manganese has a sort of symbiotic relationship with zinc in the presence of yeast, and the two must go together, with manganese at only a small fraction of zinc (which in and of itself is not needed in more than very small amounts).  It has been found that when there is no manganese the zinc should be held to less than 0.6 ppm, else fermentation will actually begin to suffer, but in the presence of just the right minute quantity of manganese the yeast can both tolerate and benefit from much higher ppm's of zinc.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1975.tb03784.x
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1998.tb00996.x
While we're headed down this rabbit hole... I wonder how much Zn and Mn are left after dosing with BTB, and if it's low enough to affect yeast performance

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 08:41:18 pm »
Joe Formanek told me in an email “Remember, though, that not all ions are removed, which is OK because some are important for proper yeast functionality.” He didn’t go into specifics (how much was left).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk