Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver is closing  (Read 1358 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver is closing
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:04:59 am »
Heard the news yesterday: https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/falling-rock-tap-house-closing-denver-craft-beer-bars-taprooms/

The article cited a few factors: covid, ongoing construction in the area, competition from other "beer bar" places. Changing demographics definitely seems like part of it, the crowd in that part of town has changed into more of a 24/7 "spring break woo" crowd and I doubt any of them are particularly interested in beer. I didn't go there all that often because I wasn't a fan of the location, but it was a big hit with people visiting from out of town.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver is closing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 07:12:02 am »
That's crazy, I haven't been there a lot.. because I don't go to Denver a lot.. but every time I was there, I'd stop in. If was always packed to the brim... I assumed it was a forever staple.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 07:31:38 am »
It was definitely packed whenever I went, but I've also heard worse and smaller locations are paying more than a couple hundred grand a year in rent, so I'm sure it's gotten a lot tougher to stay in business over the last decade.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:43:15 am »
Saw on the announcement earlier, and that made me sad. Went a handful of times, enjoyed the visits.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:06 am »
There are so many craft breweries here. I'm sorry to say I haven't heard of them until this post. I live just North of Denver and have a brewery literally across the field from my house and I'm not to far from Left Hand. Sounds like it was an incredible place though.

They aren't far from Coors Field and with the pandemic and baseball being shut down for so long I'm sure didn't help either.

Real estate is so disgustingly out of hand on the front range; I'm sure we will see more of this and not just from the craft beer industry.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:42:33 am »
Real estate prices have made it difficult for everyone. There's a big mismatch between the coastal RE prices and flyover wages. It makes it hard to do anything interesting. You need to hit the ground making so much profit just to cover your rent that everything aims for the broadest possible appeal with the slickest marketing. That means everyone is chasing the same small sliver of high income people and everyone else can pound sand.

I actually just left Denver a year or so ago and got a better paying job in a smaller town.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:44:12 pm »
Great bar, sorry to see it go. I always hit it when I came to Denver. Yes, I would think that with people working at home, their business must have took a major hit.

No offense to the Denver breweries, but get Belgian ale on tap is a wonderful thing.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 03:11:39 pm »
Falling Rock was the first place I tried a lot of classic Belgian beers years ago. Thirsty Monk brewery was good too but they closed last summer I think. Cheeky Monk was a good belgian beer bar but they've been closed a long time at this point. Just doesn't seem like much interest in Belgian beer anymore.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:06:32 pm »
Falling Rock was the first place I tried a lot of classic Belgian beers years ago. Thirsty Monk brewery was good too but they closed last summer I think. Cheeky Monk was a good belgian beer bar but they've been closed a long time at this point. Just doesn't seem like much interest in Belgian beer anymore.
I loved the Cheeky Monk too bad.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:34 pm »
Never liked that place. Staff was so unfriendly. They seemed angry to have customers half the time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:13:11 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 04:26:49 pm »
Never liked that place. Staff was so unfriendly. They seemed angry to have customers half the time.
I went to the one that was open briefly off 144th and the staff were fine. Don't know about Denver.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 08:50:45 pm »
I went to the one that was open briefly off 144th and the staff were fine. Don't know about Denver.
Had no idea they had more than one location.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 09:45:39 pm »
Had no idea they had more than one location.

Edit: Talking about two different things.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:25:09 pm by Big_Eight »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:31 pm »
I was referring directly to falling rock in Lodo. I think the availability of quality local craft beer likely had a hand in them closing. I would rather spend money on locally well made beer then pay a bunch of snobs for pliny the elder.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 07:47:59 pm »
So is the state going to take down all the road signs that say "Watch for Falling Rocks"? :)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's