Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upgrading to kegerator  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Jaykayray

• 1st Kit
Upgrading to kegerator
« on: June 25, 2021, 02:05:06 pm »
Started work on old fridge in the basement.  Took out the shelves bc clearance was tight, now I have to rows, fitting 4kegs on also room for lagering. Just waiting on taps for the door, maybe by years end.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Upgrading to kegerator
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 03:42:03 pm »
Started work on old fridge in the basement.  Took out the shelves bc clearance was tight, now I have to rows, fitting 4kegs on also room for lagering. Just waiting on taps for the door, maybe by years end.

I love having my kegs in a fridge out in the garage! Just a short dash from the front porch!! Looking at your picture, you might want to put your CO2 outside and run the gas line thru the side of the unit if possible. It will free up some much need room to maneuver kegs in and out or as the pic shows, some commercial brews.

Offline Jaykayray

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:35:24 pm »
I was thinking that, just need to get the parts and the tank is getting moved out. Having kegs in the fridge automatically makes the beer that much more awesome,  house guests always get a kick out of it

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »
In all the years I've kegged beer I've kept the tank outside and just added CO2 to the beers as needed.  Too lazy/scared to drill through the side.  Not the most elegant soolution, but it works for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
In all the years I've kegged beer I've kept the tank outside and just added CO2 to the beers as needed.  Too lazy/scared to drill through the side.  Not the most elegant soolution, but it works for me.
I do this too. You don't have to worry about emptying a full CO2 tank from a leaky keg this way, either.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 01:56:39 pm »

Denny, if you're not set in your ways, do a search of your refrigerator make and model. They should have the schematic of the unit that shows exactly where the cooling coils lie. In my case, there are in the rear of the unit. If I'm not mistaken, refrigerators work by lowering the temps in the freezer only and that cold air in turn cools the refrigerator section. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 02:04:38 pm »

Denny, if you're not set in your ways, do a search of your refrigerator make and model. They should have the schematic of the unit that shows exactly where the cooling coils lie. In my case, there are in the rear of the unit. If I'm not mistaken, refrigerators work by lowering the temps in the freezer only and that cold air in turn cools the refrigerator section. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

I bought the fridge new in 1980.  Seems unlikely I could find info, and truthfully I'm fine with the way it is.  And as far as my fridge is concerned that's exactly how it works.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:18:27 pm »

I bought the fridge new in 1980.  Seems unlikely I could find info, and truthfully I'm fine with the way it is.  And as far as my fridge is concerned that's exactly how it works.

Whats impressive about that is the fact that it is still operating 40 years plus!! What brand of fridge?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 03:15:30 pm »

Whats impressive about that is the fact that it is still operating 40 years plus!! What brand of fridge?

Name on it is Montgomery Ward, but I don't recall who built it for them.  I only notice when I have to take it apart to replace something.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 04:07:24 pm »

Name on it is Montgomery Ward, but I don't recall who built it for them.  I only notice when I have to take it apart to replace something.
My beer fridge is a circa 1934 GE Monitor Top.  You may have seen these in old movies or TV shows.  It still has the original sulphur dioxide refrigerant.  I inherited it from my father in law and had it shipped from Ohio.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995