Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Heat Sanitizing  (Read 1225 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Keg Heat Sanitizing
« on: June 26, 2021, 11:00:11 am »
I had a corny keg in my garage and I forgot to clean the damn thing. I opened it up and it was a mess.  Brown spots growing all over the inside. Anyway, I have double soaked this thing with PBW and would really love to give this thing a good heat soaking.  Here's the question.  How hot of water can I put in an old pin lock corny keg?  Will it ruin the rubber handles and bottom?   Thanks.  I also plan on soaking in iodophor or starsan after to do a CO2 purge. The heat may be overkill but I'm that guy.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Re: Keg Heat Sanitizing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 11:04:08 am »
In retrospect, I think I'm just going to change all of the gaskets and soak the stainless in sanitizer.  What say you to this idea?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 11:29:14 am »
I have transferred boiling water into a ball lock. No problems. Put some CO2 on it and flip it upside down after a few minutes to get heat to the top. Wear gloves.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 12:47:49 pm »
It's big time over kill but if it makes you feel better ... sure! Be careful, I have been burned badly a few times. Not fun. Like, at all.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 12:49:18 pm »
... of yeah, also, if your keg has a mounted rubber base the heat can detach it. This happened to me a couple times.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 01:14:40 pm »
Try Craftmeister Alkaline.  It's saved me a number of times.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 01:49:39 pm »
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!  I am the overkill cleaning sanitizing guy! How do you reattach the rubber base?  Craftmeister is better than pbw? or just different?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:05:46 pm »
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!  I am the overkill cleaning sanitizing guy! How do you reattach the rubber base?  Craftmeister is better than pbw? or just different?

Craftmeister oxygen works better than PBW.  Craftmeister alkaline kicks their butts. https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 05:32:03 am »
+1 on the Craftmeister alkaline wash.  It has been my staple cleaner since I became aware of it several years back.  I use it on kegs and fermenters with a sump pump in a bucket and pushing solution through a top mounted copper pipe with holes in it and gas and liquid QDC’s - it cleans them quickly and completely.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 09:49:15 am »
I'd skip the boiling water. Disassemble everything, soak everything in strong cleanser, scrub until all crud is gone,. and then sanitize. Be sure to run a long skinny bottle brush through the entire pick-up tube.  Replace all seals.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 11:59:23 am »
+1 -- You don't need the keg heat sanitized. You just need it to be clean. I will spare you the picture of the burns I have had on my feet from brewing accidents. Stainless is easy to clean.