Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can you actually pressure ferment and dry hop in these plastic Kegs?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit
Hi folks, I'm starting my home brewing experience and wanted to ask your advice if I could use such kegs for pressure fermenting and dry hopping?

Any thoughts? Appreciate your advice.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Maybe. The things to look out for is that they have a bag inside of the so you have to figure out a way to deal with that. And they won't open easily like a corny keg. A sanke keg is not very easy to disassemble. There is probably a special took you have to use. I've never use done of these before so not 100% sure.

Rather than go that rout, why not check into the "FermZilla"?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermzilla-conical-fermenter-71-gal-27.html

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit

Thank you for your reply. FermZilla looks great for sure, just not sure if it fits into standard chest fridge? As I'm planning to ferment in a chest fridge, since it's pretty hot in summer here in Spain.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
No, I don't think you can use those. It looks like they fill through tubing and a special connector. That means no way to introduce dry hops or pitch yeast. Also, you'd need to figure out how to connect a pressure release/spunding valve to it to bleed off the excess pressure produced during fermentation. Even for a pressurized fermentation, you only want about 15PSI of pressure.

You will be much better off using a regular corny keg (ideally with a floating dip tube) rather than one of those kegs as a fermenter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit
You will be much better off using a regular corny keg (ideally with a floating dip tube) rather than one of those kegs as a fermenter.

Thanks Eric. I think I'll stick with FermZilla then, as advised by majorvices :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Thank you for your reply. FermZilla looks great for sure, just not sure if it fits into standard chest fridge? As I'm planning to ferment in a chest fridge, since it's pretty hot in summer here in Spain.

Yeah, that part is a pain. I have the FermZilla and can only use it during the winter when my basement is at proper temps. I plan on getting an upright eventually.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I am looking into a kegerator fridge to use with my All Rounder (7 gallon or so for 5.5 gallon batches) and Kegmenter (13.2 gallon, IIRC).  I wish there was a taller kegerator fridge for this purpose (I have become too old and tired of using a winch/deer harness to load fermenters into a chest freezer....)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"