Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl Rest  (Read 2513 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Diacetyl Rest
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:16:27 pm »
So I made my Czech Pils 3 weeks ago. I, for whatever reason/excuse didn't initiate a D rest. The fermenter stayed at 52* for the entire time until it was time to cold crash.
To my point, I did not perceive any diacetyl at all. Is it possible that I don't have the ability to detect it? Was it even present? Doing a quick internet search it is said that it only takes 0.001 parts per billion to taste or smell. I use 34/70 for this recipe and maybe that yeast isn't a big producer of it? ( I will search later).

I always do a D rest because that is what I have learned to do and it is an easy step if you have the equipment to do so and only adds a few days to the  fermentation schedule.

Although I will continue to do a D rest, is it absolutely necessary?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Diacetyl Rest
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 03:01:45 pm »
It IS possible that a person cannot detect diacetyl; some folks are blind/insensitive to it's expression.

It was almost certainly present during fermentation at some point, to some level - regardless of yeast strain (ale or lager). It's a natural production of brewer's yeast which is then up-taken at the end of fermentation at varying speeds and to varying degrees.

My experience with the 34/70 strain variants is that they are not big producers of diacetyl and ARE good, quick up-takers of D if allowed to remain some time at fermentation temperatures once reaching final gravity - given sufficient, healthy pitches of yeast.  I rarely elevate my lagers to D-rest temps when using german lager strains; true czech strains, on the other hand, I give a solid D-rest.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:13:00 pm »
I seldom do a d rest.  Maybe one batch out of maybe 20.  If I don't taste diacetyl, I don't bother.  While it's possible you can't detect it, it may be more likekky you don't have it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:11:04 pm »
Some people I know never do one but they leave the beer at fermentation temp for a couple weeks after fermentation and before dropping temp.. maybe the time has something to do with it and not just the temp.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 05:32:22 am »
This is an interesting subject.  A couple years ago, I attended a “off flavor” sensory perception class at my LHBS.  The class, was hosted by a representative from White Labs (if memory serves).  In the class, we had individual tastings with roughly 6-7 different “off-flavors”, with a different off-flavor in each beer.  Of the various tastings, I could only detect a couple off-flavors.  So, I agree, some people don’t have the sensory capability to detect some off flavors. I guess I would make a bad Beer Judge  —  :-\

I almost always to a D-rest simply out of habit rather than necessity.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 05:43:58 am »
Being blind to diacetyl can be overcome by training and using different techniques, such as a quick covered dish of the beer in a microwave for a half minute - opening the dish after heating will often expose diacetyl by smell (buttery aroma); also perception by mouthfeel is possible - often a slickness to the beer.

That said, I don’t usually do a diacetyl rest, because the yeast will cure it with time and I rarely am in that big of a hurry….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 07:37:26 am »
This is an interesting subject.  A couple years ago, I attended a “off flavor” sensory perception class at my LHBS.  The class, was hosted by a representative from White Labs (if memory serves).  In the class, we had individual tastings with roughly 6-7 different “off-flavors”, with a different off-flavor in each beer.  Of the various tastings, I could only detect a couple off-flavors.  So, I agree, some people don’t have the sensory capability to detect some off flavors. I guess I would make a bad Beer Judge  —  :-\

I almost always to a D-rest simply out of habit rather than necessity.
That doesn't mean you would be a bad judge. Honestly a lot of picking out off flavors is practice. I remember the first off flavor testing I did, I could not find "green apple".. I knew something was off... Maybe because they told me but I wouldn't have described it like that. After more practice, it got easier to pull out and different styles of beer can present the same off flavor in a different way/mask it more, so it comes down to digging, playing, and learning how to describe what you're tasting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 08:11:21 am »
Some people I know never do one but they leave the beer at fermentation temp for a couple weeks after fermentation and before dropping temp.. maybe the time has something to do with it and not just the temp.

Exactly.  Think about why we raise the temp...to make the yeast more active. It's yeast activity, not merely temp, that reduces diacetyl.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 08:58:08 am »
My normal fermentation routine is to raise the temp at the end to hurry things alone -- usually after about 72 hours. That is both ales and lagers. It's not a bad habit to get into. Of course sometimes I either forget or I am fermenting ambient basement temps and in those cases I just give it some extra time since yeast will clean up the diacetyl in almost every case (except infection).

Alpha acetolactate is the precursor to diacetyl and you can't taste it but it can turn into diacetyl if oxidation or warm temps are introduced during packaging. Yeast will usually clean up alpha acetolactate during the d-rest but if you are unsure you can always heat a sample of your beer to about 140° (I like to use a sous vide in a glass jar for about 20 minutes) and cool it down to serving temps and smell/taste it. If you smell/taste diacetyl let the beer sit on the yeast for another few days. IME that almost always takes care of diacetyl.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:02:35 am by majorvices »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 09:45:26 am »
My normal fermentation routine is to raise the temp at the end to hurry things alone -- usually after about 72 hours. That is both ales and lagers. It's not a bad habit to get into. Of course sometimes I either forget or I am fermenting ambient basement temps and in those cases I just give it some extra time since yeast will clean up the diacetyl in almost every case (except infection).

Alpha acetolactate is the precursor to diacetyl and you can't taste it but it can turn into diacetyl if oxidation or warm temps are introduced during packaging. Yeast will usually clean up alpha acetolactate during the d-rest but if you are unsure you can always heat a sample of your beer to about 140° (I like to use a sous vide in a glass jar for about 20 minutes) and cool it down to serving temps and smell/taste it. If you smell/taste diacetyl let the beer sit on the yeast for another few days. IME that almost always takes care of diacetyl.

If IIRC yeast can't  absorb the Alpha Acetolactate. It has to be oxidized to form Diacetyl which can be readily absorbed by the yeast and converted. Both the oxidation and absorption by the yeast happen faster at higher temperatures.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 10:02:12 am »
"...until it was time to cold crash."  If that means immediately after a few days of stabile hydro readings, then maybe you're at risk for diacetyl.  But if you can't detect it, then no problem, especially if you are the only consumer.  But if "time to cold crash" means a week or more after stabile readings, then I'd say you're probably not at risk.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 10:02:30 am »

If IIRC yeast can't  absorb the Alpha Acetolactate. It has to be oxidized to form Diacetyl which can be readily absorbed by the yeast and converted. Both the oxidation and absorption by the yeast happen faster at higher temperatures.

In that case then perhaps the warmer temps of a d-rest are more important. Or if you keep the beer cold and low DO pick up on packaging it isn't going to be a problem.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 10:50:57 am »
So I made my Czech Pils 3 weeks ago. I, for whatever reason/excuse didn't initiate a D rest. The fermenter stayed at 52* for the entire time until it was time to cold crash.
To my point, I did not perceive any diacetyl at all. Is it possible that I don't have the ability to detect it? Was it even present? Doing a quick internet search it is said that it only takes 0.001 parts per billion to taste or smell. I use 34/70 for this recipe and maybe that yeast isn't a big producer of it? ( I will search later).

I always do a D rest because that is what I have learned to do and it is an easy step if you have the equipment to do so and only adds a few days to the  fermentation schedule.

Although I will continue to do a D rest, is it absolutely necessary?

A dedicated d-rest is simply an insurance policy. In a normal, healthy fermentation, ale or lager, the yeast take care of it without needing to be warmed up. Yeah the warming can speed things up, though. Minor correction, and sorry to be pedantic here: the taste threshold is ~10-50 parts per billion, not 0.001 ppb, which would be 1 part per trillion.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 09:55:14 am »
Lightly educated theory follows:

Is it possible that the "tradition" of a diacetyl rest (can't bring myself to type "D rest" over and over... seems immature) came from either:

1) high speed industrial brewing where beer needed to be produced rapidly for sale and needed to be cleaned up on a very short time frame, or

2) historical brewing methods included it because of lower quality yeasts/ lower pitching rates?

Personally, I've had yeast clean up a beer during a diacetyl rest AND/OR clean up after a longer time in the bottle. Seemed to get the same result with either a temperature spike or just more patience.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 10:44:05 am »
#1 AFAIK

What's immature about d rest?

www.dennybrew.com