Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aquarium Pump vs. Pure Oxygen  (Read 2974 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Aquarium Pump vs. Pure Oxygen
« on: June 30, 2021, 05:23:41 am »
Greetings All - for my entire 8 years of home brewing I have used an aquarium pump to oxygenate my wort.  Now, I decided to use pure oxygen, but have absolutely no idea how to use it.

I bought the regulator and have fitted it to my filter, wand and stone.  So I believe, mechanically, I’m ready to go.

So, now what?  How long do I aerate?  Should I move the stone around the fermentor or set it and leave it?  And, at what flow rate (if there is such a thing) do I dial in the regulator?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Aquarium Pump vs. Pure Oxygen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 05:35:42 am »
I just put in the stone, turn on the O2, and watch the bubbles as I move it around for 30 seconds or so.. I don't time it.. I just "count". When one area looks all bubbly, I move it to another spot.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:46:50 am »
I do much the same as Allen above, with the stone mounted on the end of a wand, tied with tubing to a kegland.com flow meter tie-wrapped to a Bernz-O-Matic red oxygen bottle, set at between 0.2 and 0.5 liters/minute, for 30-45 seconds.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 07:24:52 am »
Both good suggestions.  Thanks!

I guess my concern is over-oxygenating - if that' even possible???
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 07:43:03 am »
Just to throw another monkey wrench in the works, I don't use pure O2 to aerate wort.  I have a curved piece of copper tubing that has a bunch of holes drilled in it at an angle.  I put this on the end of my transfer hose (with the angled holes facing down) when filling the fermenter and it sucks in air while the beer is going through it (much like Saccromyces does).  It's cheap to make, negates the cost of having a bottle/tank of O2 around, and works just as well for me.  My lag times are relatively short 5-6 hours.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 08:59:53 am »
I used to do O2 for about a minute. Now I just circulate my wort in the SS conical while the cooling coil is doing it's job dropping wort to pitch temp.  Faster cooling while aerating. Two birds, one stone.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 10:23:49 am »

For all practical purposes, probably not.

I've always oxygenated 1 min with ale strains, 2 min for lagers, high-gravity worts, or O2-hungry ale strains. Am I doing it correctly? Well, I can't measure how much O2 is dissolving, so I've just let how the beers turn out tell me if I'm on track. After hundreds of batches doing it this way, yes, I am doing it correctly.

You just want a fine mist of bubbles coming from the stone. You're not trying to make the wort look like a hot tub. Any bubbles reaching the surface is wasted, undissolved O2. Gently move the wand around for maximum mixing.

With my last O2 tank (the small red welding kind), I got 155 minutes of oxygenation. That's a lot of batches. YMMV but those tanks last a long time if you don't waste the O2.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 10:27:28 am »

I've always oxygenated 1 min with ale strains, 2 min for lagers, high-gravity worts, or O2-hungry ale strains. Am I doing it correctly? Well, I can't measure how much O2 is dissolving, so I've just let how the beers turn out tell me if I'm on track. After hundreds of batches doing it this way, yes, I am doing it correctly.

You just want a fine mist of bubbles coming from the stone. You're not trying to make the wort look like a hot tub. Any bubbles reaching the surface is wasted, undissolved O2. Gently move the wand around for maximum mixing.

With my last O2 tank (the small red welding kind), I got 155 minutes of oxygenation. That's a lot of batches. YMMV but those tanks last a long time if you don't waste the O2.

Somewhere in the fog of my memory I recall reading that too much O2 can be toxic to yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:49:39 am »

Somewhere in the fog of my memory I recall reading that too much O2 can be toxic to yeast.

Too much of anything is toxic. But "too much" means different amounts for different molecules and for different organisms. Over-oxygenating by a minute or two will have no impact. Over-oxygenating by 20 minutes is probably bad.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 03:51:24 pm »
I used to do O2 for about a minute. Now I just circulate my wort in the SS conical while the cooling coil is doing it's job dropping wort to pitch temp.  Faster cooling while aerating. Two birds, one stone.

Aerating the wort before it has reached the ferment temp is generally a bad idea. Ideally it should only be done after pitch or very close to pitching.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 04:22:11 pm »

I’m not sure that we can achieve O2 toxicity, but I recall Jamil saying he thought that excessive oxygenation results in Fusel production.   I’m fairly reserved when oxygenating for that reason.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 05:51:12 pm »
For what its worth, I just let the cooled wort drop from the top of my conical when transferring. When looking into the top of FV the wort is all nice and frothy. I can't tell you how much O2 is added this way but it has been working for me. Short lag times even when using re-pitched yeast. I used to oxygenate and still do on big beers but not so much anymore on others.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 07:47:09 pm »

I’m not sure that we can achieve O2 toxicity, but I recall Jamil saying he thought that excessive oxygenation results in Fusel production.   I’m fairly reserved when oxygenating for that reason.

Yes by causing accelerated yeast growth.

I think I may have killed a yeast starter with pure o2 one time. Course, I don't know for sure. It was dead AF though

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 11:51:37 am »
FWIW, just barely turn the regulator on enough to get oxygen to flow from the stone. The first couple of times I tried it (and that was 20 years ago), I cranked the regulator open all the way....and found I used an entire small oxygen bottle on two batches. Whoops.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 02:46:42 pm »
+1 -- I can get 6-10 batches off one tank