Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts  (Read 11033 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2021, 08:49:41 am »
If S-23 is the Urquell strain, as was strongly hinted to me (round about, not directly) during an email chat with an employee of Fermentis, then perhaps its fermentations need to be kept cold.  Urquell (for example) is fermented at ~46 degrees F. as I recall from memory (and with this memory originating from a vat photo someone once posted to the web).  As a first go, I would try to keep it at 50 degrees inside the fermenter.

I fermented it between 45-50 (long time ago, don't recall exactly) and got passion fruit wine cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2021, 08:55:20 am »
S-23 is one of the first dry lager yeast I remember seeing come available. I wonder if it is possible there have been improvements in quality since then? I have not used it in probably 15 years.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2021, 11:01:02 am »
This yeast is a mystery to me. There are tons of reviews at online homebrew stores that say it’s clean. But, the manufacturer sells it as “THE SOLUTION FOR FRUITY AND HOPPY LAGERS.”

I am actually planning to brew with it this weekend.  I’m planning a hoppy pre-prohibition pilsner. We’ll see.

My best Pro-Pro Pils beers have been made with Wyeast 2035.  That should not come as a surprise because Wyeast 2035 descends from the Christian Schmidt strain. The aromatics of Wyeast 2035 are unique.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2021, 11:28:27 am »
This yeast is a mystery to me. There are tons of reviews at online homebrew stores that say it’s clean. But, the manufacturer sells it as “THE SOLUTION FOR FRUITY AND HOPPY LAGERS.”

I am actually planning to brew with it this weekend.  I’m planning a hoppy pre-prohibition pilsner. We’ll see.

My best Pro-Pro Pils beers have been made with Wyeast 2035.  That should not come as a surprise because Wyeast 2035 descends from the Christian Schmidt strain. The aromatics of Wyeast 2035 are unique.
The back story on this beer is two fold. My Brother-in-law gave me some honey he raised and packaged. I want to use it in a beer, but in my experience honey just dries out beer and doesn’t really lend much flavor. So, I decided to replace flaked maize (my normal) with honey.

Separately, I have always wanted to try S-23.

I figure mild fruitiness might blend in well with a Pre-pro Pilsner with Edelweiss hops and my BIL’s honey. If the fruitiness is absent that will be fine. If the fruitiness is over the top, I will dump the beer and try again. My BIL gave me a lot of honey.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2021, 03:44:20 pm »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2021, 09:32:54 am »
My new favorite dry lager yeast is Saflager S-189. I just used it for the first time in a Festbier and it came out nice and clean with no diacetyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm