Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts  (Read 10841 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 06:52:19 pm »
Diverse selections amongst the brewers! Interesting. My favorites are 34/70, S-189, OYL-106 in that order. Since I haven't tried the other selections I will consider trying them at some point.
I like 34/70 as well and I have used that plenty of times. To me it is extremely similar to Wy2124 so surprised to hear that it’s not from the same lineage? Or seems like that is what I read here. Regardless I have used it as a back up for 2124 for years and it seems pretty damn close to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 07:28:32 am »
WY2206, hands down.

What is it that you like about it? I have used that one a lot in the past. I'm not exactly sure why I got stuck on 2124 but it might be because it was easy to get at YH in bulk

I have used 2124 for years in ny Helles and the last few batches, it seemed to stall before getting the the terminal gravity I expected.  It does throw a loot of sulfur when fermenting and if I didn't do d diacetyl rest could get that  too.

I was thinking of 34/70 the next time but will change and use 2206.

Good all purpose strain.  I started using it for stuff like Ofest and maibock because it makes great malty beers.  Then discovered it was great for pils, too.  Reliable fermenter and I don't recall it ever throwing diacetyl.
Cool. 2124 will def throw diacytle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 07:35:19 am »
I never had 2124 stall but I almost always raise the temp to 58 and even 62-64 and hold for several days before lagering.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 10:56:22 am »
   I've done several split ferments with S-189 and 34/70 and every time the 189 just didn't taste as good as the 34/70. No big really malty beers, a couple Marzens and I think my chile lager. Same thing when I've split between S-23 and 34/70, the 34/70 always makes the better tasting beer, the differences are pretty subtle but I don't think their imaginary. I haven't figured out how to do a blind taste testing on myself though so it could be confirmation bias.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 10:59:49 am »
   I've done several split ferments with S-189 and 34/70 and every time the 189 just didn't taste as good as the 34/70. No big really malty beers, a couple Marzens and I think my chile lager. Same thing when I've split between S-23 and 34/70, the 34/70 always makes the better tasting beer, the differences are pretty subtle but I don't think their imaginary. I haven't figured out how to do a blind taste testing on myself though so it could be confirmation bias.

Can you be more specific about "tastes better"?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 12:48:40 pm »

i don't believe in blind tasting for myself. i believe in multiple tastings over time with a truly open mind. i record it basically for myself (and occasionally for the edification of you people) and know that any deception would just get in the way of improving my beer.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 10:13:11 pm »
I'm with Denny on this one. WY2206 all the way. I brew a lot of lagers, and 2206 is very versatile, from delicate pale lagers like Helles to big malty lagers like Doppelbock. Reliable attenuation, low diacetyl, and low levels of sulphur. 2124 always produces more sulphur in my experience.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 06:58:26 am »
I went to order 2206 at Northern Brewer and they were sold out. SO I went to LabelPeelers and they don't carry Wyeast. I don't like the WL820 (the supposed equivalent to 2206) very well having used it in the past so I stuck with WLP830 (which to me is nearly identical to WY2124 ....) Oh well, maybe next order.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 07:14:06 pm »
WL820 (the supposed equivalent to 2206)

Oh boy is that ever outdated.  WLP820 is more closely related to WLP029 Kolsch than it is to 2206.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit#gid=1846233287
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 07:44:26 pm »

Oh boy is that ever outdated.  WLP820 is more closely related to WLP029 Kolsch than it is to 2206.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit#gid=1846233287

Blame Jamil and Kristen England. ;)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 08:01:05 pm »

Blame Jamil and Kristen England. ;)

I do.  However they tried their best, given the complete lack of genomic information available at the time.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 04:53:54 pm »
Either 2042 danish lager or wlp835 German lager x. I don’t like 34/70, or most other strains. 2042 has been my favourite for many years, though recently I tried out wlp835, love it. I mostly brew rice lagers, I like dry, lighter bodied lagers.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 10:23:20 am »

I couldn't find much in the way of tasting notes on these splits, just one that said "can't put a finger on it". Since my last comment I re-sampled a Marzen split with 34/70 & S-23 [~ 4months since bottling] and a Schwarzbier with 34/70 & S-189 [bottled last October]. Both batches are getting long in the tooth but still very drinkable, and in both cases it was difficult to detect much of a difference other than that the S-23 was over carbed, which always seems to happen with that yeast, and the 34/70 Marzen had a bit more & better perceived bitterness, and the 34/70 Schwarz a more substantial mouthfeel - even though the F.G. were identical.
   My sense of taste isn't as high functioning as it might be, too many years of liberal use of spices in my cooking. I frequently can't tell you specifically why I like or dislike something, especially different beers, but the fact remains that I either do or don't.

I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 11:12:50 am »

I couldn't find much in the way of tasting notes on these splits, just one that said "can't put a finger on it". Since my last comment I re-sampled a Marzen split with 34/70 & S-23 [~ 4months since bottling] and a Schwarzbier with 34/70 & S-189 [bottled last October]. Both batches are getting long in the tooth but still very drinkable, and in both cases it was difficult to detect much of a difference other than that the S-23 was over carbed, which always seems to happen with that yeast, and the 34/70 Marzen had a bit more & better perceived bitterness, and the 34/70 Schwarz a more substantial mouthfeel - even though the F.G. were identical.
   My sense of taste isn't as high functioning as it might be, too many years of liberal use of spices in my cooking. I frequently can't tell you specifically why I like or dislike something, especially different beers, but the fact remains that I either do or don't.

i wasnt as pleased with 34/70 as i was with s-189 over a total of 4 batches. its not great to say "cant put finger on it" but i sort of agree, it was just like an odd taste that wasnt a big deal in a 1.045 gravity lager, but became an issue in a 1.065 or so gravity bock i attempted. cant 100% pin it on the yeast, but as i said. s-189 was extremely tasty to me. i would say 34/70 has maltiness however.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 11:15:43 am »
I think it is interesting that so many people don't care for 34/70. I wonder if it is because it throws diacetyl and needs to be handled carefully. I have had great success with that strain. That said, I only used it as a "back up" when I didn't have a liquid strain available.