Author Topic: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts  (Read 3688 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 06:23:16 pm »
I have had a few people mention a lemon character with lagers made with 34/70.  I strained to find it (not even with confirmation biased at that point), but I think they may be super tasters who have higher sensitivities in their palettes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 12:04:17 am »
I think it is interesting that so many people don't care for 34/70. I wonder if it is because it throws diacetyl and needs to be handled carefully.

I've never gotten diacetyl from 34/70, and I handle it no differently from other strains. My biggest gripe with 34/70 is that it's so clean, it has no character. It's bland and boring. I just finished an American light lager made with it, and it was a great beer; 34/70 is well-suited for that style. But if I want any lager yeast character whatsoever, I use something else, namely WLP940.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 09:27:29 am »
I think it is interesting that so many people don't care for 34/70. I wonder if it is because it throws diacetyl and needs to be handled carefully.

I've never gotten diacetyl from 34/70, and I handle it no differently from other strains. My biggest gripe with 34/70 is that it's so clean, it has no character. It's bland and boring. I just finished an American light lager made with it, and it was a great beer; 34/70 is well-suited for that style. But if I want any lager yeast character whatsoever, I use something else, namely WLP940.
That's my thoughts on 34/70 as well. It's not a bad yeast by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that there are other yeast strains that I prefer for most applications. I still keep several packets of 34/70 on hand at all times. It is a rock solid performer and will put up with all kinds of abuse and still crank out good beer.

I have had a few people mention a lemon character with lagers made with 34/70.  I strained to find it (not even with confirmation biased at that point), but I think they may be super tasters who have higher sensitivities in their palettes.
I've never gotten lemon from 34/70, either. I also use Sterling with it almost exclusively, which also can give some lemon, and I still can't say that I've ever noticed it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 01:37:11 pm »
I think it is interesting that so many people don't care for 34/70. I wonder if it is because it throws diacetyl and needs to be handled carefully. I have had great success with that strain. That said, I only used it as a "back up" when I didn't have a liquid strain available.
Could you expand on how it needs to be handled carefully? I find it to be one of the most forgiving strains and have never gotten diacetyl.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Kolsch, bitter, Czech pils

Fermenting:
Up Next: amber lager, Italian pils

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2021, 01:04:19 pm »
I think it is interesting that so many people don't care for 34/70. I wonder if it is because it throws diacetyl and needs to be handled carefully. I have had great success with that strain. That said, I only used it as a "back up" when I didn't have a liquid strain available.
Could you expand on how it needs to be handled carefully? I find it to be one of the most forgiving strains and have never gotten diacetyl.

Just a diacetyl rest is all I was referring to in conjunction with a forced diacetyl test. Honestly I have used this interchangeably in a production setting with 2124. I preferred to use the liquid strain because it seemed to last more gens than the 34/70. 2124 definitely will throw diacetyl and I handled both strains the same.

It is possible I have not had it (34/70) throw diacetyl and I am misremembering it with 2124 ... but I'm pretty sure it has. Or maybe not. ;)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2021, 05:23:53 pm »
Another fan of 34/70 here. To the point that it's become the only lager yeast I use any more.

I brew 10 gallon batches and split into two plastic Big Mouth Bubbler fermentors. I split three packets of 34/70 between the two, lower them into a small chest freezer set at 50°F, let them ferment for three weeks, then keg and put in the keezer set at 34°F, force-carbing after a couple of days. No diacetyl rest. Never any problems with diacetyl, other off-flavors, or under attenuation. The convenience of having dry lager yeast with longer expiration dates on hand compared to the old days of making starters to build up liquid yeast is worth it to me.

Back in the pre-34/70 days, I was very fond of WY2278 for pilsners and WY2308 Munich for dunkel and bock beer. Either of those two for O'fest and Maibock.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:53 pm »
Another fan of 34/70 here. To the point that it's become the only lager yeast I use any more.

I brew 10 gallon batches and split into two plastic Big Mouth Bubbler fermentors. I split three packets of 34/70 between the two, lower them into a small chest freezer set at 50°F, let them ferment for three weeks, then keg and put in the keezer set at 34°F, force-carbing after a couple of days. No diacetyl rest. Never any problems with diacetyl, other off-flavors, or under attenuation. The convenience of having dry lager yeast with longer expiration dates on hand compared to the old days of making starters to build up liquid yeast is worth it to me.

Back in the pre-34/70 days, I was very fond of WY2278 for pilsners and WY2308 Munich for dunkel and bock beer. Either of those two for O'fest and Maibock.

34/70 was pretty much my go to lager yeast til I ran across Lallemand Diamond Lager.  Now that's what I keep on hand.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2021, 06:41:48 pm »
34/70 was pretty much my go to lager yeast til I ran across Lallemand Diamond Lager.  Now that's what I keep on hand.

So Diamond is better?  In what ways?  I haven't used Diamond yet.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2021, 06:43:37 pm »

So Diamond is better?  In what ways?  I haven't used Diamond yet.

Seems the beer comes out cleaner and crisper.  Haven't done a split brew yet, but that's my impression from back to back batches.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 11:22:56 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying the Diamond lager yeast soon. Maybe even next week.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2021, 12:06:38 am »
I too will give Diamond a try in the near future. But if it comes out cleaner than 34/70, that won't necessarily be a good thing to my palate. Still, I can't rule it out until I try it...

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2021, 03:33:47 am »
My first taste ever of S-23 today........ and I think it's pretty good.  I don't get any weird fruitiness.  Maybe it helps that I fermented at about 68 F.  Just a faint whiff of sulfur (normal, and it's still very young yet, primary just finished), and other than that.... well so far I can see myself experimenting with this one some more in future, despite people's advice to the contrary.  YMMV.  And maybe my opinion will change after it's actually carbonated and chilled, this was a warm gravity sample.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline purduekenn

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2021, 01:40:30 pm »
I never got the fruitiness from S-23 either but maybe I'm not sensitive to it. I have used S-23 for Festbier and Marzen and the results where good. My favorite dry yeasts include Diamond Lager, S-189, 34/70.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »
I didn't hate S-23 at the time I just didn;t love it and the liquid strains were superior. Then S-189 became available and 30/74 so I never touched it again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2021, 02:06:50 pm »
I too will give Diamond a try in the near future. But if it comes out cleaner than 34/70, that won't necessarily be a good thing to my palate. Still, I can't rule it out until I try it...

It's supposed to be clean.  Can't think of many lager yeasts that aren't.

www.dennybrew.com