Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts  (Read 10846 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2021, 10:18:12 am »
Not acetaldehyde, but actual red-apple ester.

Ethyl hexanoate

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2021, 10:21:45 am »
Yeah, I think I get a sort of pineapple or tutti-frooty punch thing from it as well.

Ethyl hexanoate can also be perceived as pineapple.  It appears that S-23 throws a lot of the compound.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2021, 11:07:54 am »
Yeah, I think I get a sort of pineapple or tutti-frooty punch thing from it as well.

Ethyl hexanoate can also be perceived as pineapple.  It appears that S-23 throws a lot of the compound.
Maybe a good strain for a NEIPL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2021, 12:28:45 pm »
I have a pack of S-23 on hand. Any suggestions on styles that will work well with it? I am not so interested in a NEIPL :)

PS. I have thought about using it for an ale if there are no good lager candidates. Just not NEIPA. I’m not a big fan of those.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:30:34 pm by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2021, 01:23:14 pm »
I have a pack of S-23 on hand. Any suggestions on styles that will work well with it? I am not so interested in a NEIPL :)

PS. I have thought about using it for an ale if there are no good lager candidates. Just not NEIPA. I’m not a big fan of those.

As I said,  Chumley once made BVIP with it and it was very good. Maybe a WCIPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2021, 01:40:05 pm »
I wonder if S-23 is related to NCYC 679.  NCYC 679 is the first yeast strain I ordered from the NCYC.  The culture is from a brewery in Bratislava.  My guess is the Stein Brewery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stein_(brewery) ).  NCYC 679 was a fruity strain for being Saccharomyces pastorianus.  I had to ferment that culture at a temp no greater than 10C/50F to keep the esters in check. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2021, 01:54:20 pm »

PS. I have thought about using it for an ale if there are no good lager candidates. Just not NEIPA. I%u2019m not a big fan of those.

I think it would work alright in any style where you're going to cover up most flavors with some other bold flavor.  IPA is only the obvious example.  Would also work in a Belgian style where you're adding coriander or spices -- specifically I'm thinking of witbier, where I pick up pear flavors from the usual WLP400 yeast anyway, so a bit of apple or pineapple wouldn't be out of place, and with the coriander -- boom.  Or how about Australian sparkling ale where you might want weird tutti-fruity anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »
I looked at the manufacturers site for S-23. They call it “the solution for fruity and hoppy lagers”.  The porter recommendation is intriguing also.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2021, 05:39:59 pm »
I just bought 4 packs of Diamond for my Märzen, it is projected to have an SG of 1.060

It seems that rehydrating is really recommended and suggests not to direct pitch. Has anyone use the direct pitch method on this and if so, what were the results?
Na zdrowie!

Offline LWRhomeBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2021, 06:40:35 pm »
Big fan of s189 for all types of lagers. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2021, 06:45:54 pm »
I just bought 4 packs of Diamond for my Märzen, it is projected to have an SG of 1.060

It seems that rehydrating is really recommended and suggests not to direct pitch. Has anyone use the direct pitch method on this and if so, what were the results?
I have never rehydrated and never had any issues. I think conventional wisdom is changing in regard to that. Also you shouldn’t need 4 packets unless this is a 10 gallon batch.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:58:15 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:37 pm »
According to the Lallemand pitch rate calculator, it recommends 28 grams (or 3 packs) of Diamond for 1.060 at 5 gallons. At the same sg for 10 gallons, it recommends 57 grams (or 6 packs) of Diamond.

I do not rehydrate before pitching.
Roger

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2021, 04:48:41 am »
On the Lallemand calculator, I entered 6.08 gallons, which is the amount that would go in the fermenter, not the finished amount (5.55 gallons) after fermenting. Did I enter the incorrect value?

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline BrewBama

Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2021, 05:01:26 am »
On the Lallemand calculator, I entered 6.08 gallons, which is the amount that would go in the fermenter, not the finished amount (5.55 gallons) after fermenting. Did I enter the incorrect value?

Cheers!
You are correct. Like you, I enter the amount in the fermenter which is not the same as packaged beer.

I do not rehydrate before pitching.

+1. I pitch dry yeast along with dry nutrient as the fermenter is filling.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:04:50 am by BrewBama »

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2021, 08:49:40 am »
I have used Wyeast 2124 a lot in the past before my then LHBS closed. The LHBS I have been using for the past 6 yrs or so carried WL and some Omega. Never really got into dealing with huge starters for liquid yeasts and Lagers so I most often used dried strains. Now my current and only LHBS around is closing...so it's dry yeast from here on out by mail order only. I'm ok with that, dry yeast has done just as well for me when treated correctly and I'm not that sensitive to any differences over the liquid strains.

Not much different than what is already posted,

34/70...pretty well balanced, good for a lot of styles middle of the road Lager yeast.

S-189...I like this for biggger Lagers. O-Fest, Bock, Helles...but would probably be great for any Lager.

Diamond...Have only used it a couple times, but seems to be somewhere in the middle of 34/70 and S-189 but leans more similar to S-189. Bigger mouthfeel, yet attenuated and crisp, clears well.

S-23...I took a gamble with this on my last batch and brewed a Kentucky Common Ale with it, so fermented closer lower 60's and it came out great. I don't know if I trusts it enough to use for a true Lager, but I want to experiment...maybe on a 2nd runnings beer or something where I won't be out a whole batch if I don't like it. I think it might have it's place though.

My favorite, hmm...If I had to pick one it might be S-189/Diamond tie but they all have a different place.