Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts  (Read 10848 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Your Personal Favorite Lager yeasts
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2021, 08:59:39 am »

Maybe a good strain for a NEIPL.

Can we all just agree to pronounce this as "nipple?"

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2021, 01:49:22 pm »
My best Lager's have come from WY2001, fermented at 50 degrees F.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:51:26 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2021, 02:06:48 pm »
My best Lager's have come from WY2001, fermented at 50 degrees F.

what are the attributes or profile you get from 2001? im curious, haven't selected what lager yeast i'll be using this year

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:58 pm »
I've only brewed a handful of lagers, using MJ Bohemian, MJ Bavarian, W34/70, S-189 and WLP802.I have some diamond, but I haven't used it, yet. I also brewed with WLP029 when I thought it was an ale yeast.

What I want from a lager yeast: clarity, cleanliness, relative dryness and a touch of sulfur. That small touch of sulfur, for me, makes a beer taste more like a genuine European lager. Every lager I brewed came out fine, but when I split W34/70 with S-189 in a largish bohemian pale lager, I decidedly favored the 34/70. I never got any sulfur, fwiw.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2021, 04:40:44 am »
what are the attributes or profile you get from 2001? im curious, haven't selected what lager yeast i'll be using this year

My perception is that it emphasizes (boosts) both  maltiness and mouthfeel.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
I got some of the WY 2001 recently when it was on the PC list. I made a Bo Pils with Czech Saaz and it was excellent. One of the best beers I have made in 17 years of brewing. My people raved about it. I am carbing up another Bo Pils with WY 2124 with the same recipe. I'm also fond of this yeast so I will compare the two yeasts soon. I will say 2001 needs a Diacetyl rest.
I plan on trying WY 2206 next on some Dunkels and other malty beers this Winter.

Question, is there a dry yeast equivalent to WY 2001 and if so how does it compare?

Prost
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2021, 01:28:20 pm »
Question, is there a dry yeast equivalent to WY 2001 and if so how does it compare?

Fermentis S-23 and Mangrove Jack M84 are genetically likely very similar to Wyeast 2001...... however in practice, I also have my doubts that these are true "equivalents".  S-23 is known to be tutti-fruity, whereas I have not seen this description for 2001.

If interested, you can look here for more ideas and rabbit holes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit?usp=sharing
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:55 am »

Fermentis S-23 and Mangrove Jack M84 are genetically likely very similar to Wyeast 2001...... however in practice, I also have my doubts that these are true "equivalents".  S-23 is known to be tutti-fruity, whereas I have not seen this description for 2001.

If interested, you can look here for more ideas and rabbit holes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit?usp=sharing
I was hoping you or one of the other knowledgeable yeast people would chime in. I had heard a little about S-23 that it might be fruity.
Thanks for the chart, very good info. Looks like I have to wait on Wyeast to put it out again as I don't have M84  available locally.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2021, 08:11:39 am »

Maybe it's just me, but the one time I used S-23 I didn't get any tutti-fruity.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2021, 09:06:27 am »

This yeast is a mystery to me. There are tons of reviews at online homebrew stores that say it’s clean. But, the manufacturer sells it as “THE SOLUTION FOR FRUITY AND HOPPY LAGERS.”

I am actually planning to brew with it this weekend.  I’m planning a hoppy pre-prohibition pilsner. We’ll see.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2021, 08:48:15 pm »

This yeast is a mystery to me. There are tons of reviews at online homebrew stores that say it’s clean. But, the manufacturer sells it as “THE SOLUTION FOR FRUITY AND HOPPY LAGERS.”

I am actually planning to brew with it this weekend.  I’m planning a hoppy pre-prohibition pilsner. We’ll see.

Scott Janish mentions it in his "Thiol Driver" recipe, there's a bunch of interesting stuff in there about ester production with lager yeasts, flavor thresholds, synergy...Going to need a beer to keep my brain from overheating processing the whole thing.

https://scottjanish.com/thiol-driver/

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2021, 02:15:55 am »
If S-23 is the Urquell strain, as was strongly hinted to me (round about, not directly) during an email chat with an employee of Fermentis, then perhaps its fermentations need to be kept cold.  Urquell (for example) is fermented at ~46 degrees F. as I recall from memory (and with this memory originating from a vat photo someone once posted to the web).  As a first go, I would try to keep it at 50 degrees inside the fermenter.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2021, 04:43:15 am »
The first culture that I ordered from the NCYC in the early 00s was NCYC 679.  The culture was from a brewery in Bratislava, Slovakia.  It was deposited in 1966 by O. Bendova from Prague.  I am assuming that the culture was from the Stein Brewery.  It was a fruity lager strain that I really liked.  I let it die with the other cultures in my first yeast bank when I took my first hiatus from the hobby.  I suspect that this culture was passed around the the region when the Czech Republic and Slovakia were one country.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:28:17 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2021, 07:17:12 am »
If S-23 is the Urquell strain, as was strongly hinted to me (round about, not directly) during an email chat with an employee of Fermentis, then perhaps its fermentations need to be kept cold.  Urquell (for example) is fermented at ~46 degrees F. as I recall from memory (and with this memory originating from a vat photo someone once posted to the web).  As a first go, I would try to keep it at 50 degrees inside the fermenter.
Sounds good. I have my chamber set to turn on the chiller when the internal wort temp hits 50F. That should keep it 48-50F. 

The BeerSmith profile for this yeast strain has min and max temperatures 46-50F and there is a note “Performs well at low temperature.” I often wonder where those notes come from. Those aren’t from the manufacturer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2021, 07:19:53 am »

Scott Janish mentions it in his "Thiol Driver" recipe, there's a bunch of interesting stuff in there about ester production with lager yeasts, flavor thresholds, synergy...Going to need a beer to keep my brain from overheating processing the whole thing.

https://scottjanish.com/thiol-driver/
Yeah. That article is hard to decipher.