Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...  (Read 4961 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 04:03:33 pm »
The owner of my LHBS tried to sell it about 2 years ago, saying that people these days just aren't taking up the hobby like they used to.

I doubt, however, that the price of craft beer has anything to do with people trying homebrewing. I've never met a homebrewer who took up the hobby to save money.

Personally, I see a very tight connection between craft breweries and homebrewing, in the sense that while not all craft-beer enthusiasts are homebrewers, I think it's safe to say that all homebrewers are craft-beer enthusiasts, and frequent breweries in their area.

What I'm curious about is whether there is a correlation between the number of homebrewers in a region and the number of breweries in that region. Are there more homebrewers in areas where there are a lot of breweries, or fewer? (Or maybe there is no correlation, which would also be interesting...)

I feel bad the way I give my LHBS much less business than I used to. But they simply did not even attempt to compete with the online distributors in terms of quality and selection. The only thing they had going for them was that I could phone in an order and pick it up that day. They stagnated big time.

I know some people in poorer parts of Canada whos parents homebrewed presumably to just make crappy pale lager equivalents for less money. My grandma apparently made beer and wine and I know she did it to be frugal. This would have been 1940s to 1960s i believe.

There definitely must be a correlation between craft beer or style availability and homebrewing. I will always remember my first real "wow this beer is something more than i expected from a beer" experience was unibroue maudite. started researching other "great" beers online, and noting i didn't have access to a lot of styles at all, i considered how they might be made and yeah. If I had extreme access to more beers I might have been slower to get into homebrewing. We have never really had great access to the great american microbrews you guys have known for 20 years now and still barely do.

What Brewbama might have added in his answer to his Granddaughter is that he probably makes a number of beers that can't be purchased for any price. I know that is the case for me, hardly anything I brew has a comparable option available to be purchased locally.
   I also am a die-hard Maker/ DIYer, and frequently more frugal than I might ought to be. FWIW, I recently added up everything I spent over the previous 12 months in order to brew [including a new, larger BK], and divided by the number of bottles or beer that produced and discovered that it cost me just < $0.59 @ bottle, not including the cost of natural gas and tap water . Most of my beers have an O.G. of 60ish or higher, so it's not like I'm making a lot of cheapy NAILs. My guess is that if I were to go back and add up everything I've spent on equipment, ingredients and books since I resumed brewing ~ 5 years ago the per bottle cost would be pretty close to last year's cost. The last batch I bottled put me over 9,500 bottles to date, which at $0.60 @ bottle would be $5,700 spent - I'm pretty sure I've spent less than that. Of course if I assumed that my labor had even nominal value the cost per bottle would go through the roof.

That's a really cheap price you have there, those are 330ml(12oz?) bottles i assume? i go with 500mls and my price is usually about $1.05-$1.50 per 500ml bottle for cheapest to most expensive beers i make. i'm actually focusing less on unit cost as i get older, but i always record it, as i love bragging "yup this imperial stout was only $1.25" would be 5 bucks at the store, etc.

re: "cheap" nails. i tried doing some math on how cheap i could potentially go while making a beer that was still possibly drinkable and purposeful (has alcohol), and it just wasnt that much savings to make a decidely bad beer vs making an actually decent one.

to save money and still make good beer:
-low ibu or very high AA hops
-dry yeast
-low OG but good speciality grains to cover up 2row

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 04:43:23 pm »
Actually, it's the opposite.  More people are taking up homebrewing and store sales show it.

It definitely feels like there is a resurgence right now, to me.

As far as brewing as a hobby goes, I just really enjoy it. I enjoy the beer I make often times better than beers I buy. For instance, I love Delirium Tremens. It's $22 for a 22oz four pack. I can make about 5 gallons of a comparable beer that I will enjoy just as much for about the price I would pay for a 4 pack (buying my grain in bulk). Obviously this doesn't take in to consideration my own personal time investment, but I enjoy brewing so I take that out of the equation.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 06:32:58 pm »
+1 to majorvices!

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »
The fun part is when she asked me to show her how to make bread or the grandson wants to learn to make beef jerky, bacon, or something.
Making beef jerky is a blast!  Haven't done it in awhile due to flank steak prices seeming quite high around me.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 07:22:33 am »
Actually, it's the opposite.  More people are taking up homebrewing and store sales show it.

I think a lot of people took up homebrewing during COVID because they couldn't go out to a brewery or a bar for craft beer.  Those of us that were already in the hobby upped our game for the same reason.  I made more beer last year than I ever did for that reason.  I am sure that has had impact on the LHBS.

Just my .02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 07:44:10 am »

I think a lot of people took up homebrewing during COVID because they couldn't go out to a brewery or a bar for craft beer.  Those of us that were already in the hobby upped our game for the same reason.  I made more beer last year than I ever did for that reason.  I am sure that has had impact on the LHBS.

Just my .02
I think I brewed less last year, mostly because I wasn’t sharing it at club meetings or entering competitions.  More homebrew for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 08:21:37 am »

Just my .02

I feel like it's as much to just have something to do, like all the people who took up baking.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2021, 09:35:53 am »

i made a fair bit, but i took it seriously as there were some total lockdowns here, a lot of unknowns/supply issues, and long lineups at alcohol stores at times. so i was trying to get x number of litres primaried by certain dates. the hours of alcohol sale here got restricted and it was really annoying, as i liked to go out at night and get a beer or two from the supermarket

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 08:13:17 am »

Just my .02
Much agreed.  People were looking for something to do and brewing was a good option for some.  You also heard people cooking and baking more just to have something to do during the Rona.  Brewing was a GREAT distraction for the quarantine.  It made things seem more normal to me. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 03:24:41 pm »
I brewed quite a bit less in 2020 than previous years.  I had a kind of trifecta that happened.
  • Our last LHBS closed the Fall of 2019
  • Mom passed away about 2.5 months before COVID locked everything down
  • COVID lockdown meant no parties, no Oktoberfest, no holiday get togethers.  I can only drink so much by myself, so no point in making something I'd never get it drunk.

I still haven't gotten back into the swing yet.  I have a ton of ingredients but no drive to brew.  It's also 90++ degrees already which makes temp control (mostly chilling) difficult.

Maybe this Fall.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 04:17:35 pm »
Having been homebrewing since 1990, I have seen the tide rise and fall several times regarding the popularity of homebrewing in my town. I have been a member of two homebrew clubs, each now defunct. I would have to say it is still on a downturn here in Montana, as I know of two LHBS's closing and nothing opening to take their place.

That said, I hardly have my finger on the pulse of homebrewing, as I think online retailing now dominates the market. I could be wrong.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 04:21:25 pm »
craft beer is not worth the price to me most of the time. i try to get new stuff to test out, and the prices seem bloated for what it is nowadays. ive heard the responses before here, blah blah, inflation / "what was the price of a coke 20 years ago". the prices i see on beer have gone up about 150-200%, i seriously doubt there are many supermarket products that have gone up 150-200% in price without a clear explanation (ie. stocks of X fish type have depleted so that fish is more expensive, etc), and im not seeing the quality increase.

Probably because doughnuts and captain crunch are more expensive that malt.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 05:03:36 pm »
I am perfectly willing to pay $10 a sixer for craft beer that is better than my homebrew, but that ain't happening. Instead, my $$$ goes to single bottles of Belgians, or 4-packs of LaChouffe. And a 12 pack of PU, but that is getting rarer as my Czech pilsner brewing has got me where I want to be.

Confession: I love New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA and buy it maybe once every two months.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 06:23:20 pm »
...I think online retailing now dominates the market.

Very true. My LHBS is way to expensive. I want to support local, but I'm not willing to pay twice as much (yes, twice as much) for basic ingredients.

About 10 years ago, a Whole Foods opened where I live. They had a decent hombrewing section next to the craft-beer section. An obvious tie-in. Bins of grain, fridges with hops and yeast, etc. It was gone a year later. I assume no one was buying.

There are ~85 breweries within a 20-mile radius of where I live. But draw your own conclusions about the popularity of our hobby--Whole Foods couldn't make it work, and my LHBS is (seemingly) ambivalent about it, despite being surrounded by 85 craft breweries.

What it boils down to is, at the end of the day, paying $7 or $8 for a pint of marginal/awful beer makes me feel like a sucker. As I get older, and wiser, this aggression just won't stand.

If craft beer were a car, most of the "craft" beer in my area would be a Geo. Alcohol does serious damage to the body, so if you're going to drink beer, make sure you're drinking a Rolls Royce. Make every sip count.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 09:22:56 pm »
Homebrewing ebbs and flows every few years. Covid definitely helped push more people towards the hobby in the past couple years but you could probably blame some of it on the increasing price of craft beer, too. Homebrewing hit a peak around 2014-2016 but as hazy IPAs became ubiquitous at the tail end it was easier to go get hazy IPAs and heavily fruited kettle sours for fairly reasonable prices than buy the ingredients and hope your beer turned out well for the cost. As the cost of those beers kept pumping up it probably pushed more people back into homebrewing. The turn back towards west coast IPAs and classic craft styles is also probably helping because those are more approachable to brew.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing