Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...  (Read 4973 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 10:42:27 pm »

Probably because doughnuts and captain crunch are more expensive that malt.

lol i somehow missed the replies in this thread. haha yeah, nice one. last time i bought one of those ones was a 5 dollar can of omnipollo something "intergalactic fudge doughnut milkshake" or whatever. it wasnt BAD, but not great.

I am perfectly willing to pay $10 a sixer for craft beer that is better than my homebrew, but that ain't happening. Instead, my $$$ goes to single bottles of Belgians, or 4-packs of LaChouffe. And a 12 pack of PU, but that is getting rarer as my Czech pilsner brewing has got me where I want to be.

Confession: I love New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA and buy it maybe once every two months.

lol i WISH a sixer of 330ml bottles was 10 dollars here. try 15+ minimum. and these are less than adventurous canadian style craft beers. so basically IPA/hazy IPA/cream ale/"craft lager" etc

voodoo ranger is $3.45 here for a 473ml can at the supermarket. ive bought it on occasion because yes, its solid enough, but not an ideal price for me.

as hazy IPAs became ubiquitous at the tail end it was easier to go get hazy IPAs and heavily fruited kettle sours for fairly reasonable prices than buy the ingredients and hope your beer turned out well for the cost.

yup, and it seemed to me that these fruity, honestly pretty approachable styles for the average person really pumped up awareness of craft to probably 95% of people age 18 to 50.

the result is i feel neglected as a "true and traditional craft beer" drinker, though of course its a practical/rational response on the part of brewers.

What it boils down to is, at the end of the day, paying $7 or $8 for a pint of marginal/awful beer makes me feel like a sucker. As I get older, and wiser, this aggression just won't stand.

If craft beer were a car, most of the "craft" beer in my area would be a Geo. Alcohol does serious damage to the body, so if you're going to drink beer, make sure you're drinking a Rolls Royce. Make every sip count.

yup, i am simply very much not impressed with the craft beer ive had from ontario. not trying to be an elitist or whatever, but as ive likely stated 100 times here, they are extremely unadventurous, i notice CHEAP recipes -styles that favour low IBUs, low ABV, low FG (so lower OG to reach that ABV), and often times just incompetent. i have yet to have a "hefeweizen" brewed in ontario that even remotely tasted appropriate, and theyre labelling them hefeweizen, not like "wheat ale".

they know that craft beer is mainstream now, and that the average person has the same poor palate they always have. chipotle and craft beer is in the 2020s to mcdonalds and budweiser was in the 80s(?).

Offline Teal

• 1st Kit
  • Missing, presumed dead...
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 08:24:04 am »
Ebbs and flows I guess.

For me - I got into brewing because I didn't like macro beer taste. I was a spirits guy. Then figured out I like making my own.

I never really bought the argument that "craft is so expenive" - at least not locally to me. Most 4 packs are 8.99 to 14.99 in my local stores. That's a full pint of craft beer. The bar is full of people paying 4.00 a shaker pint for Bud Light.

I think - craft wise, I'm getting a lot better beer for about the same as a "bar price". Even the craft beers in my local bars are 5-6 a pint - that's a 20 dollar 4 pack - Why are people ok with the 5 dollar bar pint price but not the 4.50 can price?
Me

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2021, 11:25:39 am »
Ebbs and flows I guess.

For me - I got into brewing because I didn't like macro beer taste. I was a spirits guy. Then figured out I like making my own.

I never really bought the argument that "craft is so expenive" - at least not locally to me. Most 4 packs are 8.99 to 14.99 in my local stores. That's a full pint of craft beer. The bar is full of people paying 4.00 a shaker pint for Bud Light.

I think - craft wise, I'm getting a lot better beer for about the same as a "bar price". Even the craft beers in my local bars are 5-6 a pint - that's a 20 dollar 4 pack - Why are people ok with the 5 dollar bar pint price but not the 4.50 can price?

its not a full pint most likely. a real full pint is 568ml.

people have different drinking habits. i tend to drink beer almost exclusively, but often.
when i make beer, i discount equipment costs, but count everything else including cleaning supplies, and i make a 500ml bottle of beer for anywhere from $1 to $1.50 ($1.50 being for pretty rare extremely hopped or >8%ABV beers), so about $1.25 on average. i know which styles i have down really well and are in the range of what i would find to be an acceptable commercial craft beer purchase of that style.

8.99-14.99 is a pretty good price. i don't mind paying anywhere up to $3 per 500ml of good beer and willingly buy exceptional, yet even more expensive beer a few times a year. but up here in canada there are almost no discounts for buying in volume, and the canadian made set minimum craft beer price seems to be around $3.25 and steadily rises. so 4 cans of not very good quality canadian craft beer runs $13. also bars here selling a 500ml "pint" of craft beer probably go for a minimum $7 here, havent been to a bar in a long time.

over the past few years apparently the govt liquor purchasing bodies decided to phase out all the great imports they had from better brewing countries and promote canadian craft breweries. the problem is that they SUCK. i have nothing but disrespect for 99% of canadian (not quebec tho) craft breweries. they do mediocre examples of styles i am really not into (light lager, cream ale, fruit-infused IPAs, fruit radlers (give me a break), really bad and cheaply made "session" everything (aka saving money with less ingredients), sours). at the LCBO its just a wall of the above

i should amend my initial statement. i now brew out of necessity to get the beer i can no longer get here.

take a look at what the situation is here. this is the major "craft beer" bar here.

they know that trend followers are more willing to part with their money than anyone else, so theyve gone with trendy BS.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 05:27:34 am »
After over 40 years of homebrewing, I still can't convince my wife it is cheaper than buying it. I buy malt and hops in bulk so that may be a negative in her eyes. I check the price of craft beer here in Ontario, do the math in volume and most of the time it is $50 - $60 a case. I can make 4 cases at that price. To sum it all up, I love making beer and I have an empty carboy just waiting to be filled with my own recipe, and it is bugging me that there isn't wort in it.

Offline Teal

• 1st Kit
  • Missing, presumed dead...
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 06:23:43 am »

Went and checked - it's listed either as "One Pint" or "16oz"

1 US liquid pint is 16 fl oz.
Me

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 06:48:13 am »
After over 40 years of homebrewing, I still can't convince my wife it is cheaper than buying it. I buy malt and hops in bulk so that may be a negative in her eyes. I check the price of craft beer here in Ontario, do the math in volume and most of the time it is $50 - $60 a case. I can make 4 cases at that price. To sum it all up, I love making beer and I have an empty carboy just waiting to be filled with my own recipe, and it is bugging me that there isn't wort in it.

yup, in ontario its just robbery. you are basically paying 25-30 dollars as tax out of that 50-60. it just drives me nuts. its basically a post-prohibiton era sentiment that anyone who wants a drink must be punished for their naughty behaviour. its a punitive tax.

theres a small line near the top indicating where the liquid should be not just the top of the head. i just dont think of the 500ml or the very sad little 473ml cans produced in canada a full pint. theyre a large glass of beer. ive got a few 568ml bottles around and its nice to use those for english beers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 06:50:54 am by fredthecat »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 07:31:36 am »

yup, in ontario its just robbery. you are basically paying 25-30 dollars as tax out of that 50-60. it just drives me nuts. its basically a post-prohibiton era sentiment that anyone who wants a drink must be punished for their naughty behaviour. its a punitive tax.

theres a small line near the top indicating where the liquid should be not just the top of the head. i just dont think of the 500ml or the very sad little 473ml cans produced in canada a full pint. theyre a large glass of beer. ive got a few 568ml bottles around and its nice to use those for english beers.

Sounds like Iowa's hard liquor market.  The state of Iowa owns the only distributor of liquor in the state (unless something has changed that I missed, of course).  When I was kid the state was also the only retail of hard liquor and they had a poster in each store that used a bottle to demonstrate the what made up the cost of a bottle of hooch.  The bottom 1/2" of the bottle was wholesale cost of the product.  The rest was taxes.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:42 am »
   A few months ago I got curious and sat down and added up everything I spent making beer for the previous 12 months [ except for water & nat. gas], including a new 15 gallon BK, and discovered that it cost me just under $0.58 a bottle for my homebrew - and I brew more beers over 60 that I do under. Of course that doesn't include anything for my time. While saving a ton of money is fine, I brew 1st and foremost because I like my beer a hell of a lot more than anything I can buy here, regardless of price.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2021, 05:22:41 pm »
I'd agree with the idea that most craft beer isn't interesting. If you've taken your passion for home brewing and turned it into a job the beer will be under different pressures if you want to stay in business.

Every single professional brewer has the same problem: how do you get beer you made into a customer's glass?

So while their creativity may have lead them to win competitions and encouragement from friends/ investors things change. That passion has to get tempered with the need to sell an accessible beer at a premium price and hope that the "craft beer" reputation will carry them through.

Case in point, a local brewery made a classic pilsner that was supposed to be better than the factory made stuff. I was hoping it would be a riff on a familiar style. Turns out it was a $6 can of Bud Light with better artwork.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2021, 06:47:44 pm »
I started homebrewing because of certain styles I loved that I couldn't get locally. Then the beer laws changed and I could get just about anything. I still brewed, but not as much. Now that you can only find Hazy beers, fruited and sours and gimmicky fake tasting candy beers I started homebrewing my own again.

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2021, 06:38:18 am »
Ebbs and flows I guess.

people have different drinking habits. i tend to drink beer almost exclusively, but often.
when i make beer, i discount equipment costs, but count everything else including cleaning supplies, and i make a 500ml bottle of beer for anywhere from $1 to $1.50 ($1.50 being for pretty rare extremely hopped or >8%ABV beers), so about $1.25 on average. i know which styles i have down really well and are in the range of what i would find to be an acceptable commercial craft beer purchase of that style.

8.99-14.99 is a pretty good price. i don't mind paying anywhere up to $3 per 500ml of good beer and willingly buy exceptional, yet even more expensive beer a few times a year. but up here in canada there are almost no discounts for buying in volume, and the canadian made set minimum craft beer price seems to be around $3.25 and steadily rises. so 4 cans of not very good quality canadian craft beer runs $13. also bars here selling a 500ml "pint" of craft beer probably go for a minimum $7 here, havent been to a bar in a long time.

over the past few years apparently the govt liquor purchasing bodies decided to phase out all the great imports they had from better brewing countries and promote canadian craft breweries. the problem is that they SUCK. i have nothing but disrespect for 99% of canadian (not quebec tho) craft breweries. they do mediocre examples of styles i am really not into (light lager, cream ale, fruit-infused IPAs, fruit radlers (give me a break), really bad and cheaply made "session" everything (aka saving money with less ingredients), sours). at the LCBO its just a wall of the above

i should amend my initial statement. i now brew out of necessity to get the beer i can no longer get here.

take a look at what the situation is here. this is the major "craft beer" bar here.

they know that trend followers are more willing to part with their money than anyone else, so theyve gone with trendy BS.
"English Ale" interesting style there

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2021, 06:47:07 am »
I started homebrewing because of certain styles I loved that I couldn't get locally. Then the beer laws changed and I could get just about anything. I still brewed, but not as much. Now that you can only find Hazy beers, fruited and sours and gimmicky fake tasting candy beers I started homebrewing my own again.

That was my experience as well. I think the consolidation of the craft industry that's happened over the last decade has contributed too.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2021, 07:13:38 am »

but youre supposed to "KNOW" what that means. ;)

i mean, i think my and others complaints about this, as some people have pointed out, stem from a change in audience that craft beer is marketed to. ironically now, people who are homebrewers and knowledgeable about beer processes and styles are not at all the intended customers of craft beer.

i feel like it could be different in some places, i still see a lot of american craft places that seem to make really good ideas. but for me, craft beer pub means hipsters to normies targeted, focus on atmosphere as much as the beer itself, and "accessible" beers at high prices.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:24:22 am by dbeechum »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:25 am »

i mean, i think my and others complaints about this, as some people have pointed out, stem from a change in audience that craft beer is marketed to. ironically now, people who are homebrewers and knowledgeable about beer processes and styles are not at all the intended customers of craft beer.

i feel like it could be different in some places, i still see a lot of american craft places that seem to make really good ideas. but for me, craft beer pub means hipsters to normies targeted, focus on atmosphere as much as the beer itself, and "accessible" beers at high prices.

Most of us yanks consider an "English Ale" as generic for an English Pale Ale, which I realize also can mean a lot of things.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:24:39 am by dbeechum »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2021, 02:10:40 pm »

Most of us yanks consider an "English Ale" as generic for an English Pale Ale, which I realize also can mean a lot of things.

My English Ales cover a fairly broad spectrum and are all interesting in their own way but ya, to most it means English Pale.  Kind of sad.  (full disclosure: I'm 25% English.)

That said: I'm no one's target market.  :)

Paul.

*** Edited to fix really lazy typos and a complete lack of proof reading.  Apologies to those who can actually type.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:12:52 pm by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?