Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wyeast in ontario/canada?  (Read 696 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
wyeast in ontario/canada?
« on: July 09, 2021, 01:27:32 pm »
i see wyeast available from torontobrewing.ca and homebrewsupplies.ca but i hate their prices on everything else. if i just ordered the single pack of yeast i want by itself it would end up being 35 dollars including shipping. lol nope.

the main ones ive used shortfinger/ontariobeerkegs (my fave and usual site) dont carry wyeast

anyone from canada or ontario have any knowledge about this or your favourite homebrew sites?

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: wyeast in ontario/canada?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 05:23:13 am »
Where do you live? Wyeast isn't widely available like it used to be. Have you tried Escarpment Labs yeast? Shipping has really gone up in the last year. I over build my liquid yeast and keep using it over and over. Canada Post is too slow nowadays. I don't use them when I buy yeast. I tend to buy lots of things at once so I don't have to order too many times and pay the crazy shipping rates.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 07:57:06 am »
Where do you live? Wyeast isn't widely available like it used to be. Have you tried Escarpment Labs yeast? Shipping has really gone up in the last year. I over build my liquid yeast and keep using it over and over. Canada Post is too slow nowadays. I don't use them when I buy yeast. I tend to buy lots of things at once so I don't have to order too many times and pay the crazy shipping rates.

same. i usually plan a set of 4 beers with 2 yeasts. do 2 around the same time, then do the following batch with yeast from the first.

i live in woodstock. havent tried escarpment yet, i see them available at shortfinger brewing, but next up im trying omega. is escarpment any good? i know theyre canadian, but their stuff seems very basic. im still trying out classic liquid yeasts to see which ones i like. their prices are about 14 bucks per yeast sachet vs 10-12 for WLP and omega.

i use OBK and fedex it, it arrives consistently within about 2 or 3 days, well packaged. im pretty happy with OBK the 5 or 6 times ive used them.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:16:40 am »

same. i usually plan a set of 4 beers with 2 yeasts. do 2 around the same time, then do the following batch with yeast from the first.

i live in woodstock. havent tried escarpment yet, i see them available at shortfinger brewing, but next up im trying omega. is escarpment any good? i know theyre canadian, but their stuff seems very basic. im still trying out classic liquid yeasts to see which ones i like. their prices are about 14 bucks per yeast sachet vs 10-12 for WLP and omega.

i use OBK and fedex it, it arrives consistently within about 2 or 3 days, well packaged. im pretty happy with OBK the 5 or 6 times ive used them.

I've used Escarpment a few times and have a bunch more to try.  So far, it looks great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell