Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nugget vs. Magnum hops as a generic/universal bittering addition hop choice?  (Read 7251 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Warrior is worth a look. High alpha and clean.

good suggestion. i forgot that i meant to try warrior. ive been using magnum by default as my hi AA bittering addition for so long

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Warrior is citrusy when used late.  If using in a super picky style like a German lager, I'd hesitate to use it, even as a bittering addition.  But for anything else, yes, absolutely, have at 'er.  Should be a low cohumulone hop IIRC.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Warrior definitely has a unique taste...not bad, but unique.  Boulevard Brewing used to make a pale ale with it, I don't think they still do.

Do I recall correctly, that some brewers have used Magnum as a dry hop with good effect?  I don't recall Magnum otherwise being used successfully as anything but an early bittering hop.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

Warrior is worth a look. High alpha and clean.

good suggestion. i forgot that i meant to try warrior. ive been using magnum by default as my hi AA bittering addition for so long

Yeah Magnum is my go to for lagers and I use bravo and warrior mainly for ale though I will be trying warrior on my next lager. I have used Nugget with good success but want more bang for my buck that other provide.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Warrior definitely has a unique taste...not bad, but unique.  Boulevard Brewing used to make a pale ale with it, I don't think they still do.

Do I recall correctly, that some brewers have used Magnum as a dry hop with good effect?  I don't recall Magnum otherwise being used successfully as anything but an early bittering hop.

Some may have, but I've never found a Magnum dry hopped beer that appeals to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
While you are mulling over the above I thought I would share my one and only experience with using Magnum for additions other than just bittering.  After being inspired by Brulosophy (https://brulosophy.com/2017/02/02/the-hop-chronicles-magnum/) I whipped up a simple Brown Ale, using Magnum for my bittering, flavor, and aroma additions.  I ranked the final beer as possibly the very worst of my creations, and vowed to never try that again.

But in reading about Nugget, it seems to have a more broad flavor profile that "may" present it to use for flavoring and aroma as well as bittering.  However, after my Magnum experience I'm leary to even consider venturing beyond bittering for Nugget.

Any thoughts on this as well?

I HATE Magnum as a late/dry hop. SN Torpedo Ale tastes bad to me because of it. Late hop/dry hopped magnum is  like vicks vaporub mixed with oregano, just awful.
 I've had one or two all Nugget beers (both bittered and Aroma hopped with Nugget) that weren't that bad, but I would think that there are probably better choices as far as aroma hops go. I've used Nugget and Magnum for bittering and both get the job done well. I dont think I could be able to tell the difference of a beer bittered with Nugget or Magnum
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:11:49 pm by Cliffs »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
One of my all time hop blends was Cluster Fugget by Yakima Chief.  Cluster, Fuggles, and Nugget.

I tried this blend recently too and really liked it. Do you know if the Fuggles are US grown?

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
For bittering only Nugget does a great job, I've used it a lot. Magnum does an equally great job for bittering only. My favorite bittering only hop is Horizon, super smooth because of low cohumulone levels, so you can lay in more bitterness without it getting harsh. Nugget has the advantage because you can also use it for later additions contributing some nice floral fruitiness, in my experience.

I think there's probably alot more to bittering quality than cohumulone levels

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
One of my all time hop blends was Cluster Fugget by Yakima Chief.  Cluster, Fuggles, and Nugget.

I tried this blend recently too and really liked it. Do you know if the Fuggles are US grown?

Almost certain they are

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
For bittering only Nugget does a great job, I've used it a lot. Magnum does an equally great job for bittering only. My favorite bittering only hop is Horizon, super smooth because of low cohumulone levels, so you can lay in more bitterness without it getting harsh. Nugget has the advantage because you can also use it for later additions contributing some nice floral fruitiness, in my experience.

Yeah, cohumulone as a quality of bittering is highly debated.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster

dont quote me on this, but iirc cohumulone isomerizes more efficiently than other alpha acids, resulting in higher IBU's than many calculators account for

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

dont quote me on this, but iirc cohumulone isomerizes more efficiently than other alpha acids, resulting in higher IBU's than many calculators account for

I seem to recall that.  OTOH, I recall a theory that it didn't really make any difference.  Don't know what the prevailing school of thought is these days.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Don't know what the prevailing school of thought is these days.

Doesn't matter.  Truth is truth, but people will believe whatever we want to believe.  As always, best response, if interested, is to experiment on your own and see what YOU YOURSELF find to be true.

I myself have not yet run such experiments, and as such, not sure what or who to believe.  And probably won't take anybody's word for it since this is an easy enough experiment to run individually.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
The cohumulone level for Magnum is listed as being 24-25%, and for Nugget the cohumulone is listed as being 22%-26%.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Here's a pretty good--and, thankfully, very short--review article on cohumulone and bitterness: https://d-nb.info/1037703790/34#page=41

I would like to read some of the cited sources, but can't find them.

I have never paid attention to the cohumulone % in any hop, but rather have chosen my bittering hops based on my own experience, what I've read, and what others' experience is. Magnum/warrior/nugget frequently come up. I've settled on magnum, but I've grown weary of the subtle menthol I get from it.

I'll be playing around with galena for my next few batches.