Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Totally bogus Irish Red Ale  (Read 1796 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Totally bogus Irish Red Ale
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 09:54:12 pm »
Not that this has anything to do with anything but, in 1991 it snowed on Christmas eve and me and my buddy had a case of Killian's Irish Red packed in the snow. It was ice cold, nearly frozen, and we thought it was the best beer on the planet. And that night? It was.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 07:28:32 am »
I'm not ashamed to say that I drank it.  It was probably a bit of a novelty at the time.  But some embraced it more than others.  When my BIL first came over here and saw my draft setup I told to sample the beers to see what he liked and I still remember him trying them... Mmm, this one is kind of like Killians.  This one isn't like Killians at all.  Is this one supposed to be Killians?  Oh man, this last one is NOTHING like Killians".  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2021, 07:48:36 am »
Every brewery that wants to continue brewing has the same problem:

Getting their beer into as many glasses as possible.

To the general public, one "craft" beer is much the same as another. Assuming that word has any meaning any more.

The difference is the story that the beer tells.

Jim Koch finding the recipe for what would become Sam Adams in an attic.
Ken Grossman scrapping brewing equipment together and putting Sierra Nevada beer in other people's bottles.
Nick Bush, Drifter Brewing Co in Cape Town, SA.. lagers his kegs in an cave 100 feet underwater.

There's only so much you can do with water, hops, barley and yeast. But the people that make it will always be the most interesting part to me. Even if the stories aren't 100% true.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2021, 10:37:43 am »
I'm not ashamed to say that I drank it.  It was probably a bit of a novelty at the time.  But some embraced it more than others.  When my BIL first came over here and saw my draft setup I told to sample the beers to see what he liked and I still remember him trying them... Mmm, this one is kind of like Killians.  This one isn't like Killians at all.  Is this one supposed to be Killians?  Oh man, this last one is NOTHING like Killians".  :D

beers like this were certainly a stepping stone and i respect them. i went to a bar last night and had rickard's red. its a 5.5% "red ale", tastes distinctly industrial but its price point is the same as domestic and is just that tiny step more flavourful than a pale NAIL. These kind of beers got people to realize that there are possibilities out there besides pale lager.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2021, 11:07:51 am »

beers like this were certainly a stepping stone and i respect them. i went to a bar last night and had rickard's red. its a 5.5% "red ale", tastes distinctly industrial but its price point is the same as domestic and is just that tiny step more flavourful than a pale NAIL. These kind of beers got people to realize that there are possibilities out there besides pale lager.
True.  Gateway beers.  Remember JW Dundee's Honey Lager?  There was a Budweiser "American Ale", Killian's, Anchor Steam and a number of other inoffensive beers that got people away from gold, fizzy lagers.  For a long time in the US and Canada we had dark days of nothing but pale fizzy lagers.  You needed to travel to realize there was better beer.  I think there is a Dave Berry quote where he says after traveling "We're drinking Barry Manilow beer and everyone else is drinking Ray Charles beer".  :D  There was truth to that but not anymore.  We have a ton of new breweries and more styles which is awesome.  The people who like their Bud or Coors or Miller can be happy too. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.