Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SafAle US-05 Optimum temperature range changed on spec sheet  (Read 42659 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SafAle US-05 Optimum temperature range changed on spec sheet
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2021, 07:53:38 am »
Based on recommended pitch rates on packets=

US-05 one packet = 5.2 gallons to 7.9 gallons

BRY-97 one packet = 2.9 gallons to 5.8 gallons

*US-05, 11.5 gram packet (pitch rate 11.5g in 20-30 Liters)
*BRY-97, 11 gram packet (pitch rate .5 - 1g per Liter)

This would explain longer lag times using one packet BRY-97 for larger batches,
and shorter lag times in smaller batches. One US-05 yeast packet covers more
gallons per packet than BRY-97, according to their own stated pitch rates. Which
also accounts for longer lag times using BRY-97 vs US-05, in same sized batches.

This is if both yeasts have the same viability, and I'm not sure how lag times
affect the fermentation/beer.

My experience is that lags up to 72 hours have no effect on beer quality at all
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2021, 07:54:53 am »
I use Lallemand products, and specifically Bry-97, a lot. I prefer to use the pitch rate calculator on the Lallemand site vs the generic package recommendation because it takes into account the strain, volume, and specific gravity of the wort.  By using the pitch rate calculator recommendation I get very consistent lag times with Bry-97 across the spectrum of wort density.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is your usual gallons per batch ?
Do you use 2 packets for 5 gallons ?
Thanks

It depends on gravity.  For 1.049 I'd use one.  For 1.070 I'd use 2.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2021, 08:25:59 am »
I have found the Lallemand pitching rate calculator to be a very worthwhile tool. I was surprised a few months ago with the higher pitch rate of some of the newly released yeast strains, and the calculator makes it simpler for me.

However, in this case, Denny's numbers for this particular strain are very close. The pitch calculator shows you need 11.59 grams of BRY-97 for 5 gallons of 1.049 gravity wort. So a single 11 gram sachet would be close enough for me.

I learned about this calculator on this forum (thanks Brewbama) and have been using it since.
Roger

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2021, 08:27:25 am »
with the increased availability of Bry-97 I am having trouble understanding why brewers still use us-05. Bry-97 seems to do everything a little better than US-05

yup, finally used BRY97 this year and i am now very happy with the results. would have to brew a subtler beer with it to really describe a good tasting of it, but i prefer it to S05 for sure. I also can't imagine ever using S05 again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2021, 08:31:40 am »
I have found the Lallemand pitching rate calculator to be a very worthwhile tool. I was surprised a few months ago with the higher pitch rate of some of the newly released yeast strains, and the calculator makes it simpler for me.

However, in this case, Denny's numbers for this particular strain are very close. The pitch calculator shows you need 11.59 grams of BRY-97 for 5 gallons of 1.049 gravity wort. So a single 11 gram sachet would be close enough for me.

I learned about this calculator on this forum (thanks Brewbama) and have been using it since.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't always use 2 for 1.070 and it hasn't seemed to matter.  But thats fo4 my beer and I'm willing to do it. For others, my advice above stands.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2021, 09:31:18 am »
with the increased availability of Bry-97 I am having trouble understanding why brewers still use us-05. Bry-97 seems to do everything a little better than US-05
Lots of people get a much longer lag time with 97 and it makes them nervous.

Which I don't understand.  I get fermentation in 24-36 hours with it.
I do too, but compared to the 4-5 hours or less with some other yeasts it makes some folks nervous.
I like it and it is in a recipe I plan to brew soon.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:43:24 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
SafAle US-05 Optimum temperature range changed on spec sheet
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2021, 10:30:45 am »
I use Lallemand products, and specifically Bry-97, a lot. I prefer to use the pitch rate calculator on the Lallemand site vs the generic package recommendation because it takes into account the strain, volume, and specific gravity of the wort.  By using the pitch rate calculator recommendation I get very consistent lag times with Bry-97 across the spectrum of wort density.

What is your usual gallons per batch ?
Do you use 2 packets for 5 gallons ?
Thanks
I ferment 5.5 gal so I’ll have 5 gal in a keg after loss in the cone. It depends on the OG for the pitch rate:

1.042 they recommend ~11 grams (1 pack)
1.050 = 13 grams
1.056 = 14.5 grams
1.070 = 18 grams
1.085 = 22 grams (2 packs)
Etc…
Etc…

I consistently get 16 hr +/-  2 hr lag. …but mostly 14 hrs. (In my brewery, “lag” is defined as the first registered ‘blip’ on the Tilt hydrometer.)

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 10:50:44 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2021, 02:16:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies.