Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna Lager Grain  (Read 3574 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vienna Lager Grain
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2021, 10:33:15 am »
Just now sent an email to Best. Seeking a retailer close to us.

Cool.  I think it's very good continental malt.  Worth a try to see what you think.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2021, 11:01:20 am »
I love Best Pils - but have not tried Best Vienna yet.  It is something I just might ask for my LHBS to order for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:44 am »
I love Best Pils - but have not tried Best Vienna yet.  It is something I just might ask for my LHBS to order for me.

I've used the pils (both regular and Heidelberg), the Munich and Vienna.  Very happy with all of them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2021, 12:45:38 pm »
Best has been my go-to malt for continental style beers for years. Great price and high quality. I like Weyermann too, though.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2021, 12:47:09 pm »
Heidelberg is awesome. Best is definitely my fave malt in all types of grain
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2021, 04:44:04 pm »
Just now sent an email to Best. Seeking a retailer close to us.

Cool.  I think it's very good continental malt.  Worth a try to see what you think.

Received 3 replies from Best Malz. Very impressed! I will give them a go with my next order. We always order in bulk, 55 lb bags.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2021, 06:38:28 am »
Are Vienna Lagers produced in Europe? Is there a good example available in the US, nationally?

The traditional Vienna Lager recipe consists of only Vienna malt, and displays more toffee, bready flavors. Vienna Lager recipes today are likely to contain Munich malt, Pilsner malt, Vienna malt, and dextrin malt, and in certain situations, some brewers call for wheat in their Vienna Lager. Aside from malt, the Vienna Lager hops are German Noble hops and the Vienna Lager yeast is of course bottom fermenting Lager yeast. The Noble hops are used subtly and offer low hop bitterness.

https://craftbeerclub.com/beer-style/vienna-lager

The best Vienna Lager I've had is Ottakringer, brewed in Austria. Definitely worth seeking out.
My favorite continental malts are from Bestmalz in Germany, also worth seeking out. 🍺

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2021, 12:54:54 pm »
Are Vienna Lagers produced in Europe? Is there a good example available in the US, nationally?

The traditional Vienna Lager recipe consists of only Vienna malt, and displays more toffee, bready flavors. Vienna Lager recipes today are likely to contain Munich malt, Pilsner malt, Vienna malt, and dextrin malt, and in certain situations, some brewers call for wheat in their Vienna Lager. Aside from malt, the Vienna Lager hops are German Noble hops and the Vienna Lager yeast is of course bottom fermenting Lager yeast. The Noble hops are used subtly and offer low hop bitterness.

The best Vienna Lager I've had is Ottakringer, brewed in Austria. Definitely worth seeking out.
My favorite continental malts are from Bestmalz in Germany, also worth seeking out. 🍺

I’m pretty sure the last 4 or 5 replies have also suggested Best

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2021, 02:00:28 pm »

I’m pretty sure the last 4 or 5 replies have also suggested Best

Is there a limit on how many recommendations a matter can get?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2021, 02:47:39 pm »
No. There is no stated limit.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2021, 04:10:36 pm »

No, I know. It was a rhetorical question for BeerfanOz. After he was the fourth one to recommend Bestmalz, apparently my recommendation was just one too many.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2021, 08:10:31 pm »

No, I know. It was a rhetorical question for BeerfanOz. After he was the fourth one to recommend Bestmalz, apparently my recommendation was just one too many.

Got it!

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2021, 12:40:41 am »
I got recommendation envy, sorry ! 🤣

I can’t get it locally so I just paid double the price of my locally available malt for some more Heidelberg malt. COVID has pushed freight cost way up. Worth it imho
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 12:43:36 am by BeerfanOz »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2021, 09:48:00 am »
if you are making a copy of what people imagine negra modelo to be then sure.

when i think of vienna lager, as ive stated before (i think there was an entire many, many page thread on this already wasnt there?) i think of ottakringer vienna.

if i made that i would go 98% vienna, 2% carafa. noble hops to ~32 IBU.

^Ditto

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2021, 10:27:36 am »
I have a club member friend who wins regularly with his Vienna Lager (several ramp ups by commercial breweries, also):

5.5 gallon batch

5.5# Vienna
2# Red X
1.6# Pils
.125 # Carafa II

I will typically skip Red X and substitute 1# Munich and another extra pound of Vienna or just substitute 2 # Munich.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"