Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 - How much, by weight (pressurized), does it take to fill a spesific volume.  (Read 741 times)

Offline partyparty

• 1st Kit
If a full (or any, by weight) bottle of co2 leaks out all in a short time, like in a basement, with nowhere for the gas to go, how high will the "pool" of co2 be ? 
How is this calculated ? Bigg bottle, small basement, beds on the floor...thats why I started trying to find out. Google'd a lot, but nothing gave me any answers.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
1 mole of "any" gas molecule occupies ~22.4 Liters of volume at STP (standard temperature and pressure).

I believe that STP means 1 Atmosphere of pressure and 20 degrees C.

The molecular weight of CO2 is 44 grams/mole.

So if I'm looking at this correctly, under "specifically" STP conditions every 44 grams of CO2 will occupy 22.4 Liters of volume.

And from there these four gas laws should come in handy:

PV = nRT

P1*V1=P2*V2 [for T1=T2]

V1/T1=V2/T2 [for P1=P2]

P1/T1=P2/T2 [for V1=V2]

n = moles = grams/[molecular weight]
R = a constant ~= 0.0821 at zero degrees C (273 degrees K) = 22.4L/273K
T = temperature in degrees K (Kelvin)
V = nRT/P

But you will surely want to read this (and more like it): https://caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/v71/cave-71-01-100.pdf
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:09:43 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
1 mole of "any" gas molecule occupies ~22.4 Liters of volume at STP (standard temperature and pressure).

So if I'm looking at this correctly, under "specifically" STP conditions every 44 grams of CO2 will occupy 22.4 Liters of volume.

PV = nRT

P1*V1=P2*V2 [for T1=T2]

V1/T1=V2/T2 [for P1=P2]

P1/T1=P2/T2 [for V1=V2]

V = nRT/P

But you will surely want to read this (and more like it): https://caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/v71/cave-71-01-100.pdf

The other thing to keep in mind is that the gas will tend to diffuse somewhat with the air in the basement due to Dalton's law of partial pressures. Although CO2 is heavier than air, there will be some natural mixing that will occur.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

PV = nRT

P1*V1=P2*V2 [for T1=T2]

V1/T1=V2/T2 [for P1=P2]

P1/T1=P2/T2 [for V1=V2]

V = nRT/P

The other thing to keep in mind is that the gas will tend to diffuse somewhat with the air in the basement due to Dalton's law of partial pressures. Although CO2 is heavier than air, there will be some natural mixing that will occur.

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Put a fan in there to speed up the mixing and you should be fine unless you are storing ridiculous amounts of CO2. If you are really worried you can get on oxygen meter with an alarm on it, a standard item in many laboratories that use compressed gases.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's