Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do I need any adjustments to a Recipe if I'm Pressure fermenting?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit
Hi folks,

Planning out my first brew and got some doubts. Here is the recipe:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/idaho-is-one-giant-park-ipa/

In regards to timing is says:
"Begin fermentation at 64°F (18°C) and ramp to 67°F (19°C) over the first 3 days. Add first dry hop addition on day 1 of fermentation. Maintain fermentation temperature at 67°F (19°C) for 4 additional days. Add second dry hop on day 5, or when beer is 80–90% attenuated. On day 9, add third dry hop addition and perform diacetyl rest for 3 days. After diacetyl rest, confirm full attenuation and cold crash over 4 days. Allow to condition another 7 days prior to packaging."

Do people usually mean "normal" fermenting in the recipes? What if I'm using a Fermzilla under pressure?
Will I need to adjust days somehow, bearing in mind that processes go faster under pressure? Or should I just follow the recipe no matter pressure fermenting?

Thanks and cheers!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Do I need any adjustments to a Recipe if I'm Pressure fermenting?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 08:39:04 am »
In my experience, it is temperature that is "allowed" to be higher when fermenting under pressure (pressure function is merely for ester and fusel/higher alcohols suppression - i.e., a cleaner fermentation profile at a higher temperature than would be the case at atmospheric pressure).  It is the higher temperature that causes the quicker fermentation.  Some also claim, however, that the aromatics are captured to a greater degree under pressure, especially if a closed loop transfer is then done to the serving vessel.  Anecdotally, I would say that I ferment a bit quicker under pressure, but not hugely different.  Then, again, I don't increase the temperature greatly.  I would say that the hop aroma is a bit enhanced by the pressure ferment/closed loop transfer, but it could be confirmation bias, too.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 12:56:05 pm »
Not unless you have a problem with extra hop aroma or like oxidized beer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 01:49:11 pm »
Another point - remember to pressurize the empty receiving keg to a level just below your fermenter psi, so the beer won't foam and stir up sediment excessively on the transfer/release from pressure.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 01:08:11 pm »
Another point - remember to pressurize the empty receiving keg to a level just below your fermenter psi, so the beer won't foam and stir up sediment excessively on the transfer/release from pressure.
I’m finally getting the hang of non foamy transfers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny