Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Witbier kit issue  (Read 809 times)

Offline Shayo

• 1st Kit
Witbier kit issue
« on: July 18, 2021, 01:58:02 pm »
Hey all

I've been trying to brew the Witbier kit recipe from morebeet.com.
The recipe has lots of oat and malt, which absorb large quantity of the water. Out of the 5gal batch I was able to squeeze only 2.5gal with a grain mesh bag.
In my first brew, I tried fermenting that, but got gelatinous mash. In my second attempt I added 2 gal, but I think that reduced gravity much.
Is there a trick I'm missing for brewing these types of beer?

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Witbier kit issue
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:55:17 am »
Something does not sound correct with your water volumes. Are you following the kit instructions correctly? What was your strike water volume? Are you sparking?
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:31:04 pm »
Is this an all grain or extract batch? Partial mash? There's no "trick" you are doing some thing wrong. Hard to say what it is exactly. Either you are not lautering or sparging properly or there is some top off water you are missing in the instructions. Are you using a hydrometer? You say that you think you diluted the gravity, but you should know exactly what the gravity is with a hydrometer (or refractometer).

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:42:38 pm »
I can't see how any amount of grain that would produce a witbier would produce half the volume due to absorption. Something is off--perhaps this was meant to be a full mash rather than a partial mash?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing