General Category > Ingredients

what's the difference between these two types of licorice?

(1/2) > >>

deepsouth:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=licorice

do both these products do the same thing?  i'm looking to get a licorice taste into my RIS.

thanks in advance.

bonjour:
The Licorice Stick is what a former Bell's brewer told me was used in their Kalamazoo Stout.  Works great.  No knowledge of the root.

Fred

deepsouth:

--- Quote from: bonjour on November 19, 2009, 08:39:40 AM ---The Licorice Stick is what a former Bell's brewer told me was used in their Kalamazoo Stout.  Works great.  No knowledge of the root.

Fred

--- End quote ---

thanks.  i'll use the stick then!

hampshirebrewer:
I've used licorice stick in all grain belgian pale ales and saisons and in extract porters - definitely licorice flavor.

Chopped licorice root I've used in all grain old style porters with brown malt. More of a residual sweetness and a more subdued licorice flavor.

bigfatjoey:

--- Quote from: hampshirebrewer on November 30, 2009, 08:37:02 PM ---I've used licorice stick in all grain belgian pale ales and saisons and in extract porters - definitely licorice flavor.

I've been dying to use licorice in my beers.  How do you think it complimented your belgian pale's and saisons?  I'd only be brave enough to put it in a porter.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version