Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Such thing as bad CO2?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline mattcouch

• 1st Kit
    • Advent Brewing
Such thing as bad CO2?
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:05:23 pm »
I've had 10 gallons of ale under pressure for a bout 5 days. It has a pretty bad metallic taste to it.

Hoses are quality, everything was sanitized (including kegs), etc...business as usual. The only variable is I had my tank re-filled.

I've never had a problem with carbonic acid having a profound taste this strong before. I hope it straightens itself out.

Any ideas/insight?

I hope it's salvagable...

Cheers!

-Matt
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

AdventBrewing.com

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Such thing as bad CO2?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:44:33 pm »
make a keg of kool aid and carbonate it and see if the taste sucks.
I would use lemonade to avoid staining your lines. Not sure if it would, but just to be safe.
The moral majority, is neither.

beveragebob

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:14:11 am »
I guess it would be possible when they did the Hydrostatic Pressure Test, they did not purge all of the liquid from the tank causing internal corrosion. I would take it off your beer keg and bleed the c02 till it all comes out of solution. I'd take the tank back and have them swap it out. It's a possibility your beer may be ruined but, why risk future batches. Try the new tank on your current problem batch and see if the metallic taste dissipates.
Another thought might be you had a strong concentration of iodophor and didn't rinse well enough? Just trying to give you some ideas.

Offline mattcouch

• 1st Kit
    • Advent Brewing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:03 am »
Thanks Gents! I'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

AdventBrewing.com

beveragebob

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »
Let us know what you find and the if your beer recovered from it.