Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has anyone harvested their own wild yeast?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Has anyone harvested their own wild yeast?
« on: August 30, 2021, 05:09:44 am »
If you've harvested your own wild yeast, please tell me about it. Where did you find the yeast and what did you brew with it?  Did you have a lot of failed attempts before you found a wild strain that you were satisfied with?
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Has anyone harvested their own wild yeast?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 10:14:09 am »
I harvest wild yeast.  I've done both set the wort outside and also placing leaves into the wort. I start with 225 ml of wort.  Add a few drops of lactic acid and 25 ml vodka.  I let this ferment for four weeks, if it tastes good I do the same with about 500-525 ml wort.  If this passes the taste test after four weeks, I make a 3 l starter.  If after 3 weeks it tastes good, I use it in beer.  I always start out with a simple Blonde-ish recipe, so I can really taste the yeast.  I've used my cherry blossom yeast in my Spruce Amber quite a bit.  I've had 4 successful and 2 failures.

Note, I am not a funker, so if you are looking for more funk, leave out the vodka.  Below are a couple of links that were helpful for me.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Wild_Yeast_Isolation
https://bootlegbiology.com/diy/capturing-yeast/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:30:37 am by EnkAMania »
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 11:57:29 am »
Interesting!  How does it compare to commercial yeast?  Are you able to use it as the sole yeast for your fermentation or do you combine it with other yeast?  Thanks for your reply.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:57:11 pm »
I use it by itself.  Sometimes you get a crazy attenuation like my Tulip got 92.1%, once your pitching to 5 gallon batches it acts like commercial yeast.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:21 am »
That's so awesome.

That would make a hyper-local beer that you literally couldn't make any where else.

Probably a bit on the advanced side for me at the moment but something that I'll file away for later. Also makes me wonder about being a "yeast tourist" visiting different places and collecting samples to brew from later.

Wonder what airport security would say about a suitcase full of petri dishes?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 10:12:46 am »
That's so awesome.

That would make a hyper-local beer that you literally couldn't make any where else.

Probably a bit on the advanced side for me at the moment but something that I'll file away for later. Also makes me wonder about being a "yeast tourist" visiting different places and collecting samples to brew from later.

Malta Goya soda works as a starter in a pinch. That wouldn't work in a carryon, but you could certainly fit a 6-pack or two in your checked bags.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 10:59:17 am »
I harvest wild yeast.  I've done both set the wort outside and also placing leaves into the wort. I start with 225 ml of wort.  Add a few drops of lactic acid and 25 ml vodka.  I let this ferment for four weeks, if it tastes good I do the same with about 500-525 ml wort.  If this passes the taste test after four weeks, I make a 3 l starter.  If after 3 weeks it tastes good, I use it in beer.  I always start out with a simple Blonde-ish recipe, so I can really taste the yeast.  I've used my cherry blossom yeast in my Spruce Amber quite a bit.  I've had 4 successful and 2 failures.

Note, I am not a funker, so if you are looking for more funk, leave out the vodka.  Below are a couple of links that were helpful for me.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Wild_Yeast_Isolation
https://bootlegbiology.com/diy/capturing-yeast/

highly valuable post, i hadnt considered this and am also not into "funk" for regular consumption.

nice job enkamania, now im going to be searching out the details of this for hours and hours.  :)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 08:19:36 pm »
One thing I left out, I add a couple of hop pellets to the early rounds.  My latest is trying to get yeast from my hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 04:18:26 am »
I have made some starters from wild persimmons that grow on my property. I never actually made beer out of them though.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 05:18:40 pm »
That's so awesome.

Malta Goya soda works as a starter in a pinch. That wouldn't work in a carryon, but you could certainly fit a 6-pack or two in your checked bags.

Ha.. very clever. No one would ever suspect... 007 IBU

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:19 pm »
I've used the sour dough starter that I keep around for beer.  Didn't originate with me so who knows where the yeast came from.  Also have made many batches of cider from the yeast that is already in it.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 07:45:38 am »
I've used the sour dough starter that I keep around for beer.  Didn't originate with me so who knows where the yeast came from.  Also have made many batches of cider from the yeast that is already in it.

Does that mean you've been able to ferment cider with bread yeast? Would have assumed that it wouldn't be robust enough to brew with judging by the super low FG readings that I've gotten from sandwiches.  :)