Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Verdant IPA  (Read 5117 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Verdant IPA
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 12:55:14 pm »
I did a red IPA a bit ago with verdant. I liked the beer, definitely true top cropper. Had more blowout than I expected.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 04:49:05 pm »
I trust Denny's experience with cultures because it mirrors mine to a point.  I am a relative neophyte when it comes to modern dry yeast cultures.  I maintained my own yeast bank for so many years that never had to venture outside of it. 

Here is a photo of my old yeast bank:

Working with absolutely pure yeast cultures that are propagated aseptically leads to a warped sense of clean fermentation.  I turned 60 this year.  I am more interested in practical beer and the community that exists around it.  I am done fighting the yeast culture wars.  That being said, a true top-cropping yeast culture has an allure.  The reason why true top-cropping yeast cultures exist is because the practice naturally purifies the culture due to the fact that wild yeast and bacteria do not floc to the top.  I really appreciate everyone who contributes to this forum. Everyone has a unique brew house and brewing process.  The cultures that yield consistent fermentations across this spectrum are the cultures in which the community should invest their time.  Wyeast 1056 is a no-brainer. It is a very forgiving yeast culture that produces good beer.  Wyeast 1469 appears to be the British equivalent of Wyeast 1056 when it comes to producing consistent results, albeit beers with British signatures. Hopefully, as other contributors have alluded, Verdant IPA is the answer to those who have been looking for true British-style yeast that behaves like a small British brewery yeast.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 05:20:43 pm »
I trust Denny's experience with cultures because it mirrors mine to a point.  I am a relative neophyte when it comes to modern dry yeast cultures.  I maintained my own yeast bank for so many years that never had to venture outside of it. 

Here is a photo of my old yeast bank:

Working with absolutely pure yeast cultures that are propagated aseptically leads to a warped sense of clean fermentation.  I turned 60 this year.  I am more interested in practical beer and the community that exists around it.  I am done fighting the yeast culture wars.  That being said, a true top-cropping yeast culture has an allure.  The reason why true top-cropping yeast cultures exist is because the practice naturally purifies the culture due to the fact that wild yeast and bacteria do not floc to the top.  I really appreciate everyone who contributes to this forum. Everyone has a unique brew house and brewing process.  The cultures that yield consistent fermentations across this spectrum are the cultures in which the community should invest their time.  Wyeast 1056 is a no-brainer. It is a very forgiving yeast culture that produces good beer.  Wyeast 1469 appears to be the British equivalent of Wyeast 1056 when it comes to producing consistent results, albeit beers with British signatures. Hopefully, as other contributors have alluded, Verdant IPA is the answer to those who have been looking for true British-style yeast that behaves like a small British brewery yeast.
I just purchased several dry yeasts hoping to find one that I like for English porters and bitters.

I purchased Verdant IPA, Nottingham & Windsor (co-pitch), Nottingham & Lalbrew London (co-pitch), and New England East Coast Ale.

I’m not sure what I am searching for. I am hoping I will know it when I taste it.

This experiment might take me a year to complete since I will be mixing in APAs and Lagers along the way.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 10:05:07 pm »
I picked up a few sachets of mangrove jack empire ale recently. The first batch turned out good. Lower attenuation than verdant, but the beer didn't taste cloying. Kept a lot of body in a low gravity stout. I'm not sure what the source is but I've read it's from Newcastle. I think verdant was originally London 3. Similar fruit flavors to my unsophisticated palate.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 03:59:29 pm »
I'm planning to try a NEIPA with Verdant this weekend.  I was going to do 10 gallons and split it between two yeasts to see the difference.   I'm not sure what to put in the other half.  I have 1450, US-04, and US-05 as options.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 07:32:53 am »
S-04 is quite widely used in NEIPA.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:53:02 am »
Agreed. If you want to see the most contrast, I'd suggest comparing it against a non-biotransformative yeast strain. I don't know about 1450, but I don't think US-05 does the biotransformation thing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 08:25:56 am »
Agreed. If you want to see the most contrast, I'd suggest comparing it against a non-biotransformative yeast strain. I don't know about 1450, but I don't think US-05 does the biotransformation thing.

Not being a fan of biotransformation, I've never tried so I don't know either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Verdant IPA
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 10:32:07 am »
I believe Bry-97 is supposed to be a biotransformation strain, and I’ve added hops during active fermentation but I didn’t notice a difference vs. regular dry hop. I think I did it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:37:48 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 01:22:21 pm »
I believe Bry-97 is supposed to be a biotransformation strain, and I’ve added hops during active fermentation but I didn’t notice a difference vs. regular dry hop. I think I did it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've always wondered at what point in fermentation does the biotransformation process stop. I know the accepted practice has become to use hops early on to enhance biotransformation, but do we really know at what point it stops? A fully fermented beer retains enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer after priming. Does it retain enough activity to biotransform hops as well? I don't know if I've seen anything in the literature that addresses this to my satisfaction. That is one possible explanation why you aren't seeing a significant difference.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 09:18:37 am »
Have you brewed with Verdant yourself? Or just going by what "they" say.

I have used Verdant a few times, and, for one and most importantly, enjoyed the beers it made. For two, to me it seems to be top-cropping and thus relative easy to use and harvest.

I used it in an APA,  a Rye ale, a Porter, and a NEIPA. All were comparable to the beers I've made with liquid yeasts.

I'd really appreciate and value your opinion. I hope you use it and report back what you liked or disliked as I, for one but likely many more, appreciate your opinion on yeast.

Roger, if you're happy with the results you're getting from verdant IPA, do you care what someone' else's opinion is?  I homebrew to make the beer I like to drink.  If others like it fine; if they prefer other other styles or recipes, I'm okay with that as well. Cheers to the beer you've brewed.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 11:30:00 am »
Have you brewed with Verdant yourself? Or just going by what "they" say.

I have used Verdant a few times, and, for one and most importantly, enjoyed the beers it made. For two, to me it seems to be top-cropping and thus relative easy to use and harvest.

I used it in an APA,  a Rye ale, a Porter, and a NEIPA. All were comparable to the beers I've made with liquid yeasts.

I'd really appreciate and value your opinion. I hope you use it and report back what you liked or disliked as I, for one but likely many more, appreciate your opinion on yeast.

Roger, if you're happy with the results you're getting from verdant IPA, do you care what someone' else's opinion is?  I homebrew to make the beer I like to drink.  If others like it fine; if they prefer other other styles or recipes, I'm okay with that as well. Cheers to the beer you've brewed.
Thanks for this post, this is great advice for all brewers, new and more experienced who are reading this.

In the last year or so I have made an attempt to increase my understanding of yeast related issues. This has resulted in better results but also resulted in a habit of continuously questioning and gathering others experiences and opinions.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Roger

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 05:50:51 am »
If you're seeking his opinion to learn more, that's great.  I never know enough about anything.  But, let your own experience be validation enough for beer that you like.  Happy brewing!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2021, 07:08:38 am »
Roger, brewing is a hobby where learning never stops.  I started to brew 28 years ago and I am still learning.

Offline tommymorris

Verdant IPA
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2021, 08:54:59 am »
I come to this forum to learn and discuss. I value the opinions of my fellow brewers and just enjoy chatting about beer. I don’t even always validate what I learn here. Lots of times I just trust you guys and gals