Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Mecca Grade "Gateway" a chit malt?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Is Mecca Grade "Gateway" a chit malt?
« on: August 11, 2021, 08:02:19 pm »
I have been reading about chit malts and might like to try some in a recipe soon, but they are not easy to find. I see that Mecca Grade Estate lists their Gateway malt as under-modified, but they don't use the term chit malt. I can get this malt easier than ones listed as chit malt. Is it basically the same thing?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Is Mecca Grade "Gateway" a chit malt?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 08:09:48 am »
I have been reading about chit malts and might like to try some in a recipe soon, but they are not easy to find. I see that Mecca Grade Estate lists their Gateway malt as under-modified, but they don't use the term chit malt. I can get this malt easier than ones listed as chit malt. Is it basically the same thing?

They may list it as undermodified, but the specs say different.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 09:48:14 am »
That's the lowest Kolbach index (S/T) I have ever seen.  Dozens of maltsters claim they make an "undermodified" malt.  But this is the only one I've seen that actually *is*.

https://www.udrop.com/file/90hS/MGEM_Gateway.pdf

Chit malt is something even lesser than that.  It's like a step prior to this.  I don't know if many people would consider the terms interchangeable -- I wouldn't.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 09:51:31 am »
That's the lowest Kolbach index (S/T) I have ever seen.  Dozens of maltsters claim they make an "undermodified" malt.  But this is the only one I've seen that actually *is*.

https://www.udrop.com/file/90hS/MGEM_Gateway.pdf

Chit malt is something even lesser than that.  It's like a step prior to this.  I don't know if many people would consider the terms interchangeable -- I wouldn't.

Wait...it says DP 180-200.  What am I missing? IIRC, someone once said chit malt is like flaked barley.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:57:15 am »
I cannot claim to be an expert on reading spec sheets, but to my knowledge, best measure of modification is Kolbach or S/T, not DP.

But I might be wrong.  I have no doubt that somebody else will chime in with much more info later.  :)

In my understanding, chit malt is basically grain that was wetted a bit and then dried.  So yeah, should be real similar to how flaked barley would behave.  Tastes like grass and hay (I've tasted it), very green.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:59:31 am »
I cannot claim to be an expert on reading spec sheets, but to my knowledge, best measure of modification is Kolbach or S/T, not DP.

But I might be wrong.  I have no doubt that somebody else will chime in with much more info later.  :)

In my understanding, chit malt is basically grain that was wetted a bit and then dried.  So yeah, should be real similar to how flaked barley would behave.  Tastes like grass and hay (I've tasted it), very green.

Yeah, now I see the S/T is way down there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 10:20:07 am »
I think of Rahr as more of a gateway and Mecca Grade as the final destination ;)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 12:25:20 pm »

Dave, you are pretty close, but not right on. Chit malt has been germinated a bit, while flaked barley is not germinated at all. As a result chit malt has very high enzyme content, while flaked barley has none. The protein content may be similar because chit malt has germination stopped before the proteins are fully modified, but may introduce fewer polyphenols that produce haze in beer. If you are brewing a hazy IPA then flaked grains are fine, but if you are making a brew with a lot of kilned grains and need something to boost your enzyme content without producing haze then chit malt will work and flaked barley won't.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 12:31:36 pm »
Chit malt has been germinated a bit, while flaked barley is not germinated at all. As a result chit malt has very high enzyme content, while flaked barley has none. The protein content may be similar because chit malt has germination stopped before the proteins are fully modified, but may introduce fewer polyphenols that produce haze in beer. If you are brewing a hazy IPA then flaked grains are fine, but if you are making a brew with a lot of kilned grains and need something to boost your enzyme content without producing haze then chit malt will work and flaked barley won't.

This sounds right.  Thanks!!
Dave

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 07:03:47 am »

Dave, you are pretty close, but not right on. Chit malt has been germinated a bit, while flaked barley is not germinated at all. As a result chit malt has very high enzyme content, while flaked barley has none. The protein content may be similar because chit malt has germination stopped before the proteins are fully modified, but may introduce fewer polyphenols that produce haze in beer. If you are brewing a hazy IPA then flaked grains are fine, but if you are making a brew with a lot of kilned grains and need something to boost your enzyme content without producing haze then chit malt will work and flaked barley won't.

I don't think I've ever heard the comparison of chit malt to flaked barley before, but that makes a lot of sense. It certainly explains why I get a fair amount of green/hay flavor from flaked barley.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 09:35:11 am »
Does Gateway have lots of the flavor that the proponents of putting antioxidants in mash are seeking to get? Might using Gateway be an easier way to achieve this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 09:58:58 am »
Does Gateway have lots of the flavor that the proponents of putting antioxidants in mash are seeking to get? Might using Gateway be an easier way to achieve this?

It has lots of flavor, although it isn't exactly the flavor you'd exact in a pils malt. If you already brew LO then I assume you'd still want to do it.  There's nothing about Gateway that would prevent oxidation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 11:51:44 am »

Interesting question!  BTW, I love your use of the term "proponents of putting antioxidants in mash".  ;)

Having never tasted Gateway malt myself specifically, I'm not sure whether it could be used effectively as a "cheater" method to get different malty flavors than from standard base malt.  Which is sort of like the folks who "cheat" decoction by adding melanoidin (which in my view doesn't actually work -- two totally different things).  Maybe as little as 10-20% in a batch would be enough to have an impact, something like that?  In any case, if you do play around with Gateway malt, please report your results!
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 12:16:07 pm »

Interesting question!  BTW, I love your use of the term "proponents of putting antioxidants in mash".  ;)

Having never tasted Gateway malt myself specifically, I'm not sure whether it could be used effectively as a "cheater" method to get different malty flavors than from standard base malt.  Which is sort of like the folks who "cheat" decoction by adding melanoidin (which in my view doesn't actually work -- two totally different things).  Maybe as little as 10-20% in a batch would be enough to have an impact, something like that?  In any case, if you do play around with Gateway malt, please report your results!

I've used it several times.  Pretty much has the flavor of the other Full Pint malts.  In no way would I think of of it as a "cheater" malt in the way you describe.

www.dennybrew.com