Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tips for improving hop aroma  (Read 3115 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: tips for improving hop aroma
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 11:33:41 am »
…  Yakima Chief has recently done research and published a booklet describing how to decide on hop combos based on those.

…which can be found here: https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf

The accompanying video is here: https://youtu.be/NfoWdgH9F2o

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super interesting. I've been trying longer whirlpools and dryhopping, but have had mixed results. Some of the hops I've been using are toward the right side of that survivables chart. I might need to switch my mindset to "All purpose" hops (Centennial, Ekuanot, Crystal) and finishing hops (Cashmere, Amarillo, El Dorado).

That's the type of info I found really interesting
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 02:21:10 pm »
…  Yakima Chief has recently done research and published a booklet describing how to decide on hop combos based on those.

…which can be found here: https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf

The accompanying video is here: https://youtu.be/NfoWdgH9F2o

Super interesting. I've been trying longer whirlpools and dryhopping, but have had mixed results. Some of the hops I've been using are toward the right side of that survivables chart. I might need to switch my mindset to "All purpose" hops (Centennial, Ekuanot, Crystal) and finishing hops (Cashmere, Amarillo, El Dorado).
I rescheduled hop additions in an upcoming recipe using the 4 steps.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 04:57:00 pm »
A distinction needs to be made about what type of hop character or aroma you are trying to improve. Alot of the research and trend these days is to try and make beer that tastes like juice by increasing chlorides in the water, dry hopping while there is still some active ferm.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 08:05:43 am »
A distinction needs to be made about what type of hop character or aroma you are trying to improve. Alot of the research and trend these days is to try and make beer that tastes like juice by increasing chlorides in the water, dry hopping while there is still some active ferm.

If you look at the recipes included in the booklet, you'll see that they're for a range of PA/IPA styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 10:55:25 am »
I am slowly but steadily getting used to hazy IPAs and enjoying them. i'm stupidly anti-trend sometimes, but i am starting to understand the style more. some day i make make one.

last one i fully enjoyed was omnipollo maz.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 12:46:38 pm »
I am slowly but steadily getting used to hazy IPAs and enjoying them. i'm stupidly anti-trend sometimes, but i am starting to understand the style more. some day i make make one.

last one i fully enjoyed was omnipollo maz.
I know what you mean. I like both west and east coast styles. I probably drink more NEIPAs than West Coast IPAs these days simply due to availability.
My dad, on the other hand, has stopped drinking IPAs altogether since NEIPA is all there seems to be around anymore for IPA. He hates them, hates the way they look, hates their juiciness, always says it's "what the little kids want these days because it doesn't taste like beer, it tastes like juice out of their little sippy cups". I can't argue with him, he's pretty stubborn about it. So now he's all about lagers - pilsners and helles, when he can find them. Thing is, not a ton of breweries are making good examples of those either. But probably more so than west coast IPAs these days.

Sorry, not wanting to hijack the thread. That PDF has some great info in it. Definitely going to be using that for my next IPAs. I do have some Idaho 7 and Citra, so that might be where I start.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 01:58:11 pm »
A distinction needs to be made about what type of hop character or aroma you are trying to improve.

Right. I don't necessarilly agree with the blanket list of hops that are better suited for use early or late in the brewing process. It depends on your goal, yeast selection, etc. To me, a better use for this is when you are targeting certain flavors or specific compounds, the information here has a lot of promise.

For example, if you want to reduce floral character, you can choose to add your high-geraniol hops in the whirlpool and use a biotransformative yeast (to convert it to citronellol), then use low-geraniol hops as a post-ferment dry hop addition. If your goals are more nuanced than "increase all hop character", there is still a lot of useful info to dig into here.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer