Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using mash to sous vide cook at the same time  (Read 1062 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Using mash to sous vide cook at the same time
« on: July 14, 2021, 03:48:31 pm »
I saw a YouTube video where a guy partially cooked a chicken in a vacuum-locked bag while doing his mash on a batch of beer (he used an all-in-one brewing unit).  He had to cook it a bit longer in the oven after mashing out, but it looked like it was well on its way with just the mash alone...I thought maybe others here might have done an overnight mash with a sous vide cooking of meat. 

If this is a reprise of any earlier threads, please ignore - I didn't run a search.  Just thought it was pretty interesting.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Using mash to sous vide cook at the same time
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 06:16:33 am »
I wonder why he needed to cook it longer? Chicken breasts take about an hour at 151F. If he mashed out it's much, much hotter than that at the end.

Perhaps he browned it in the oven. Of course if I'm gonna fire up the oven I would just cook it there.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 09:52:58 am »
I don't make a habit of eating chicken cooked to 151° internal temp. That's Aunt Sally territory

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 10:32:07 am »
I know of peopke who use the mash to cook eggs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 01:19:48 pm »
I don't make a habit of eating chicken cooked to 151° internal temp. That's Aunt Sally territory

The question would be why exactly?

So let's explore the topic a bit. The safe food handling guides are to kill bacteria and are the temps at less than 10 seconds of contact time. If you extend the contact time you can lower the temp. It's why SV works and people don't get sick.

165F is the temp recommended by the CDC, but what they omit is that is at a particular contact time. Here's a link which gives some charts. http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/packets/2012packet/attachments/iii_018__all.pdf
Check out page 16 which is the longest times for chicken. 151F for 3.1min is all you need.

Perhaps you should make it a habit...

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 01:40:28 pm »
Too many years in the restaurant biz with 165° burned into my head. Slightest hint of pink or jelly chicken and I'm out. If you're saying there's none of that after 3.1 minutes at 151° then maybe I'll try it out

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 02:01:49 pm »
Boneless chicken breast is white at 151F for an hour. I'd bet thigh meat would still be pinkish near the bone at that temp.

The key with SV is to not cook too long and denature the proteins. With chicken if you went to 151F and held for an extended period of time it would eventually become mushy. I always find it best to find someone's tried and true recipe when doing SV.

Now another factor is SV does not sear the exterior. So the 151F chicken breast would need to be used in something where an exterior sear is not needed. You could also give it a quick sear all the way around, but I might cook a little lower if doing that. We use it for salads or snacking.