Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaned&Sanitized Kegs  (Read 944 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Cleaned&Sanitized Kegs
« on: July 30, 2021, 01:35:01 pm »
I cleaned and sanitized 5 kegs yesterday. Yea I know, good for me. I pushed iodophor through with CO2 so the kegs are purged of O2 also. This leads to me ask; How long will they stay sanitized undisturbed? I will use 3 tmrrw and shelve the other 2 until probably next month.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Cleaned&Sanitized Kegs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:51:19 pm »
As long as they're sealed, they're sanitized.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 03:17:02 pm »
Mine rarely stay empty for long (I like to spund most beers, thenlager in the kegs a while before serving), but I have kept cleaned, sanitized and CO2 purged kegs for a few months before filling with spunded, primary fermented beer.  If it is actively spunding and being properly transferred in a sealed loop, there should be little risk of O2 ingress.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:33 pm »
Good to know guys! Will definitely be kept sealed and all transfers done under CO2.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 06:11:23 pm »
In principle, a properly cleaned, sanitized, and sealed keg should stay ready-for-use in perpetuity. In practice, it's really a function of whether the soils/gunk were totally removed by the cleaning. If you inspected it and didn't see any gunk, those kegs should be good for a long time, months at least. But even if the cleaning was less than perfect, it's very unlikely that anything would multiply in the empty keg to the point where it would affect the beer, unless an appreciable amount of gunk was left behind.