Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Error with Propper Yeast Starter  (Read 1392 times)

Offline rolomo

• 1st Kit
Error with Propper Yeast Starter
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:35:19 am »
Okay, I did a really dumb thing in my rush to get a starter going with Propper. I needed a 36 ounce starter and instead of following the directions and just going on memory (second dumb thing i did), I used two cans of Propper instead of one can diluted with 18oz of water. The starter I created has been sitting on a stir plate for about 15 hours. I'm thinking I could just dilute the starter with another 36oz of water and be fine with it. Maybe let it run a little longer before stopping and chilling. Yes I know I'll have way more yeast than I would need. I hink it is too early for the yeast to produce byproducts that I don't want with it only being 15 hours. FWIW, the yeast is Wyeast 1450. The temp range is 60-70f and I have it sitting at 68f.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
Bob

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Error with Propper Yeast Starter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:45 am »
At 1.080, you are at a high gravity, for sure but given the volume, I’d suggest simply riding it out or brew soon and pitch the starter at high Krausen.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rolomo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 08:53:22 am »
Thanks. Brewing tomorrow evening. Staying the course, so far.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 09:12:16 am »
If it were me, I wouldn't use that starter. You pitched those yeast into a high-gravity, low/no-oxygen wort. They have been subjected to a high level of osmotic stress with very little oxygen to help them fortify their membranes. And contrary to popular belief, stir plates don't add all that much oxygen to the wort. Any yeast cells that stay alive will be very stressed.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:45:56 am »
I think maybe what I'd try is to take a bit of that starter and make another one with it at a lower gravity. Maybe even as low as 1.020 to give the yeast a fighting chance.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:08:04 am »
If it were me, I wouldn't use that starter. You pitched those yeast into a high-gravity, low/no-oxygen wort. They have been subjected to a high level of osmotic stress with very little oxygen to help them fortify their membranes. And contrary to popular belief, stir plates don't add all that much oxygen to the wort. Any yeast cells that stay alive will be very stressed.

+1. Why waste an entire batch on a possible problem starter? Denny's suggestion might work. FWIW 1.020 is my standard starter gravity (when I use one)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:11:51 am »

+1. Why waste an entire batch on a possible problem starter? Denny's suggestion might work. FWIW 1.020 is my standard starter gravity (when I use one)

My thinking was that it's worth a shot before tossing the starter.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 01:00:02 pm »
Agreed that it is worth a shot - given the small volume, just maybe the starter will be less stressed than one might think.  If stressed already, the yeast may be in no shape to recover, but yeast are remarkable fungi, so you won’t know until you try.  Perhaps a just make a small low OG batch with it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 01:02:18 pm »
Agreed that it is worth a shot - given the small volume, just maybe the starter will be less stressed than one might think.  If stressed already, the yeast may be in no shape to recover, but yeast are remarkable fungi, so you won’t know until you try.  Perhaps a just make a small low OG batch with it.

Yep.  If it was me, I'd do a couple cups of 1.020 with a couple tsp. of yeast from the other starter.  If that seems to work, step it up from there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rolomo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 07:03:32 pm »
Thanks. I went ahead with Denny's suggestion. I'll report in a week or two and let you know how it went. And I'll bring it to my club next week and get some other tasting opinions.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 07:49:56 am »
I know I'm super late on this but I wouldn't want to let the starter go to waste.

Our historical brewing brothers and sisters brewed what they could with what they had. You can be a part of that noble tradition.

Side note, I'm also cheap so I'd toss it in and see what happens. Could be a happy accident. Or cautionary tale...

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:22 am »
I know I'm super late on this but I wouldn't want to let the starter go to waste.

Our historical brewing brothers and sisters brewed what they could with what they had. You can be a part of that noble tradition.

Side note, I'm also cheap so I'd toss it in and see what happens. Could be a happy accident. Or cautionary tale...

OTOH, indications are that we wouldn't want to drink a lot of the stuff they made.  I prefer to use the advantages we have.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 05:34:51 pm »

OTOH, indications are that we wouldn't want to drink a lot of the stuff they made.  I prefer to use the advantages we have.

^This point cannot be overstated. Historical traditions are great and all that, but if they make a beer that you don't want to drink, what good are they? Nothing noble about an undrinkable beer.

Historical traditions aren't all they are cracked up to be. Case in point: A historical "tradition" of medical practice was to saw off an infected limb without anesthesia or painkillers. No thanks. I prefer modernity, including with my beers and brewing process. (Sorry to go dark here, folks, just trying to make a point.)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:23:09 pm »
Cheers to progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk