Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: W2112/W4021 Combination?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
W2112/W4021 Combination?
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:41:08 am »
My local microbrewery did a special edition 'Imperial Spruce India Pilsner' ($18/750ml!!!).  This was a very light bodied and light colored brew at 10%ABV brewed with lager yeast, pilsen malt, and flaked corn.  I liked this quite a bit, except that I think they way over-did the spruce.  I was thinking of doing something similar, but around 12%ABV, 80 - 100 IBU, and very light bodied/colored by use of pilsen LME and 3-4 lbs of clover honey.  I also want it very dry ( I hate sweet beer).

My fermentation area is currently at a constant 64.5F, but I expect it to drop a few degrees by the time I'm ready to make this batch.  I'm thinking that the California Lager (W2112) should give me good lager flavor at these temperatures, but I'm concerned about alcohol tolerance (9% according to Wyeast) .  I'm thinking of also using Champagne yeast (W4021) to get good attenuation.  I figure I could pitch the two together, as in Papazian's 'Sam Adams Triple Bock'.  On the other hand, I could wait until the 2112 finishes fermenting, and then pitch the 4021.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: W2112/W4021 Combination?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:24:25 am »
I used Cal Lager yeast in a sack strength braggot that attenuated from 1.132 to 1.030 at colder temps than what you have.  That's 77%.  Pitch big and you should get what you want with it.  If not, add the Champagne yeast later.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »
I used Cal Lager yeast in a sack strength braggot that attenuated from 1.132 to 1.030 at colder temps than what you have.  That's 77%.  Pitch big and you should get what you want with it.  If not, add the Champagne yeast later.
Wow.  What impresses me most is not just the attenuation but the EtOH tolerance.  Doesn't that work out to 13.77% abv?  Looks like a spec. of 9% is pretty modest.  Thanks for the info, jeffy. Much appreciated.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »
There's a really good chance that the champagne yeast will be unnecessary.  I've made more than a few 12% beers without it.  As jeffy said, pitch a lot of healthy yeast and you should be fine.  As a matter of fact, when I've tried using champagne yeast I've been less that pleased with the results.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to make beer taste less "beer like".  Using the honey should help dry out the unfermentables that will be in the DME, so I think you're on the right track.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »
As a matter of fact, when I've tried using champagne yeast I've been less that pleased with the results.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to make beer taste less "beer like".
That was my experience too, at least the one time I co-pitched champagne yeast with something else.
Tom Schmidlin