Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brand new to this  (Read 1812 times)

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brand new to this
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 07:16:10 am »

small world, YOU were the guy to convince me to batch sparge about 12 years ago or so. I've since gone no sparge.

not to derail the topic here, but do how does the no sparging work for you? just full amount of water added to mash out? then drained?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 07:32:36 am »

small world, YOU were the guy to convince me to batch sparge about 12 years ago or so. I've since gone no sparge.

not to derail the topic here, but do how does the no sparging work for you? just full amount of water added to mash out? then drained?
For me, I always mashed with the full volume of water, then drained to my kettle. Occasionally I would reserve some water on really small beers because I noticed a bit of a decrease in mash efficiency when I was mashing thinner than 3.5 qt/lb, but other times I would just roll with it since I was targeting a small beer to begin with. When I did reserve some water, I just had it preheated in my kettle and ran out into it to give me a head start on the way up to a boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2021, 11:47:27 am »

For me, I always mashed with the full volume of water, then drained to my kettle. Occasionally I would reserve some water on really small beers because I noticed a bit of a decrease in mash efficiency when I was mashing thinner than 3.5 qt/lb, but other times I would just roll with it since I was targeting a small beer to begin with. When I did reserve some water, I just had it preheated in my kettle and ran out into it to give me a head start on the way up to a boil.

I might test that out some day. would be nice to shave off a bit of time.