Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Freezer for Keezer  (Read 4747 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Best Freezer for Keezer
« on: August 05, 2021, 06:23:18 pm »
My keezer is kaput. It was a 5.5 ish cu ft magic chef. I want to get something better to make a new one. I am thinking around 7 cu ft. I assume I would go from 2 kegs to at least three. Does anyone have recommendations for brands and models? Do different brands around 7 cu ft have differences in number of corny  kegs they can fit?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Best Freezer for Keezer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:44:38 am »
My keezer is kaput. It was a 5.5 ish cu ft magic chef. I want to get something better to make a new one. I am thinking around 7 cu ft. I assume I would go from 2 kegs to at least three. Does anyone have recommendations for brands and models? Do different brands around 7 cu ft have differences in number of corny  kegs they can fit?

I have a Frigidaire model# FFFC25M4TW I can't find where it states the size but a google search with the model number should help. It is big though, I can fit 12 corny kegs in with room to spare for harvested yeast. Also has a elevated shelf that makes room for non-beer related goods. It has worked as expected and is on year 5.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 05:58:24 am »
Thanks HopDen. That’s a 24 cu ft. Unfortunately I don’t have enough time for that amount of brewing, I am in the market for something that holds 3, ideally 4 or 5 kegs.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 08:09:30 am »
This thread at Homebrewtalk might help. The thread is still active but I don’t know how old the data in the table up front is. 

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/chest-freezer-specs-and-layouts.377518/

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:13:49 am »
I saw some advice a long time ago to take cardboard cutouts that are the diameter of a keg. Put those in the bottom of a chest freezer on display. Use one cutout for each keg you want to put in a freezer.

You may need a measuring tape if you plan to put anything on the hump in the freezer (CO2 bottle, 2.5 gallon kegs, etc).

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 04:40:35 am »
Thanks Tommy, I will give that link a look. I was hopin* to buy online so I probably won’t use the cardboard cutout trick.

Offline archer11

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 01:13:21 am »
I bought mine online from keg king everything was great.
https://www.kegking.com.au/kegerators.html

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 06:08:13 am »
I don't know the brand and I can't be arsed to get up and go look at the moment until I finish this first cup of coffee but I know that its in the 7cu ft range and it fits 4 ball lock kegs easy. If I didn't have the CO2 tank on the hump I could fit at least one more pin lock or small 3 gallon keg on it.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 06:19:01 am »
I am thinking around 7 cu ft. I assume I would go from 2 kegs to at least three. Does anyone have recommendations for brands and models? Do different brands around 7 cu ft have differences in number of corny  kegs they can fit?

A couple months ago I finished up a 4-keg keezer project using an Arctic King 7 cu. ft freezer I picked up from Amazon for around $150. It's been a super nice upgrade from my two barrel kegerator.  Legend has it that these are Midea products in disguise but who knows. I have a 5 cu. ft. model that I purchased for food storage back in 2020 and it's been reliable.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 07:05:44 am »
My Fridgidaire died after 12+ years. A guy in the club is in HVAC, and says Freezers don't last as Keezers. He then rattled off all the people in the club that have had keezers die.

The one i had would hold 8 kegs. Looking at something that would just be used for lagering at 30⁰F. I have refrigerators that are used for serving.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 02:18:29 pm »
A guy in the club is in HVAC, and says Freezers don't last as Keezers. He then rattled off all the people in the club that have had keezers die.

Interesting. Did he give any technical reasons for the short life span?

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 02:42:47 pm »
A guy in the club is in HVAC, and says Freezers don't last as Keezers. He then rattled off all the people in the club that have had keezers die.

Yeah, I'd be interested to know the cause, too. It seems like, if anything, running as a keezer should put fewer duty cycles on the compressor to hold the higher set-point. But I'm not an HVAC engineer or technician — There could be some second-order effect that's not intuitively apparent.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 03:17:40 pm »

Freezers are designed to stay cold. I was told there is paraffin in the cooling circuit (anti corrosion?) that can come loose if warm and gum up the works.

I'm not an HVAC guy either.

Edit - that's why the next one will stay cold for Lagering only.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 04:17:53 pm »
I  have a 14.8 foot Frigidaire that serves as my keezer that I have been quite happy with. I brew 10 gallon batches, and have found this this freezer holds 8 kegs. With 4 taps, it serves me well.

I bought a chest freezer in the early 1990s that lasted for 20 years before the compressor died.

I have the temperature controller set for 35 to 39 degrees. It doesn't cycle on very often. My old kegerator cycled on a lot more often.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 02:31:54 pm »
I  have a 14.8 foot Frigidaire that serves as my keezer that I have been quite happy with. I brew 10 gallon batches, and have found this this freezer holds 8 kegs. With 4 taps, it serves me well.

I bought a chest freezer in the early 1990s that lasted for 20 years before the compressor died.

I have the temperature controller set for 35 to 39 degrees. It doesn't cycle on very often. My old kegerator cycled on a lot more often.

I have something very similar and I've had it for about 5 years.  I also brew 10 gallon batches, so I like the size (8 kegs, plus to 2.5 gal kegs on the hump, 6 taps). Unfortunately, I'm getting a little nervous as it seems to drift up and down more than it used to.  Once you consider the cost to build, I'm not sure you are much better off than some of the newer kegerators being sold by the likes of MoreBeer.