Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dead mouse in my carboy  (Read 9261 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: dead mouse in my carboy
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 08:41:58 pm »
I would not drink it in your house
I would not drink cuz the dead mouse
I do not like dead mouse haus ale
It makes me hurl in your ale pail

;D

* Just feelin' Suessy
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:53:54 pm »
Mouse Revival Mild
Resuscitation Pale Ale
Resurrection IPA
Mouse-Be-Gone Belgian Brown
Don't care who you are, that's funny!
:D
Critter done!
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 06:25:18 am »
If I wanted to Dry Mouse my pale ale, how many dead mice would you suggest? :)

Had one die in my better bottle once.  Hot PBW soak, rinse, another hot PBW soak and rinse over several days.  All better after that.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:43 am »
OK, one more and then I'm done:
Late Mouse West Coast IPA
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bono_loves_beer

• 1st Kit
  • This beer is mine, make your own.
    • Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 07:43:56 am »
Did I read somewhere that chickens were put in some kind of brew or was I just having a nightmare? I guess a rat could be used for the same purpose.

That's what someone said before, it's called Cock Ale, and the recipe involves mashing up a whole chicken and steeping it in your beer for a day or so at the end of the ferment. I feel like you'd need a slew of dead mice for this purpose, and for that reason I'd be hesitant to try "Mouse Drool Ale."
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Decadence (Oatmeal Chocolate Stout), Repentance (Chocolate Raspberry Stout), Candyshop (Chocolate Butterscotch Stout)
Bottles: Empty

If you want to brew with me in the Middlesex Valley, pm me!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 08:03:26 am »
Yeah, if you can get past the ick factor :)
In my experience PBW + bleach trumps ick.  Just don't tell anyone outside this forum!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 09:50:49 am »
In my experience PBW + bleach trumps ick.  Just don't tell anyone outside this forum!
Yeah, there's whether it's clean or not (it will be) and whether anyone wants to drink it.  Perception is everything :)

Take a brand new, fresh out of the package toilet brush, wash it, then use it to stir a pot of chili.  Then see how many people who saw you do that want to eat the chili.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:14 pm »
Or...

Go throught the cleaning process, line up all the empty fermenters that have the same shape as
the one in question. Go somewhere else while someone switches them arround 3-card monte
style so that you don't know which one it was...Unless you lable them...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
Yeah, there's whether it's clean or not (it will be) and whether anyone wants to drink it.  Perception is everything :)

Take a brand new, fresh out of the package toilet brush, wash it, then use it to stir a pot of chili.  Then see how many people who saw you do that want to eat the chili.

Oh! my, my, my....

Guess what Tubercle is going to do this Thanksgiving when all of the kids and grand-kids are over for dinner. 8) 8) 8)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »
Did I read somewhere that chickens were put in some kind of brew or was I just having a nightmare? I guess a rat could be used for the same purpose.

That's what someone said before, it's called Cock Ale, and the recipe involves mashing up a whole chicken and steeping it in your beer for a day or so at the end of the ferment. I feel like you'd need a slew of dead mice for this purpose, and for that reason I'd be hesitant to try "Mouse Drool Ale."

I was wondering if he just didn't see the reference to "Cock Ale", or if he saw it and just assumed something completely different.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:37 pm »
Saw it.

Wasn't sure.

Down here we call them roosters.

This day and time, who knows? ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 05:16:54 am »
Cock ale recipe came from a book from the mid 1600's called The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digby and involved aging a beer with rooster & spices. Google it if you want, I'm just not that interested in the recipe...... though if I had a dead mouse in my carboy (nice and aged at that) I might be tempted.... but probably not.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:35 am »
Cock ale recipe came from a book from the mid 1600's called The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digby and involved aging a beer with rooster & spices. Google it if you want, I'm just not that interested in the recipe...... though if I had a dead mouse in my carboy (nice and aged at that) I might be tempted.... but probably not.

Thanks. I looked it up and found the recipe. Mmmmmm.

I think I would rather scrap a dead mouse out of a carboy and sanitize with bleach and stick with malt and hops ;D

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:31 am »

I adopted a new one and use it for reaching into the bottom of my cornie kegs to swish em out....

proposed name for mousy carboy beer....

"Hanta Hopback"
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 10:03:22 am »
I adopted a new one and use it for reaching into the bottom of my cornie kegs to swish em out....
That's a really good idea.  When I need to really scrub my cornies (which isn't that often) I usually end up with my arm as far into the keg as I can shove it (which isn't that far) and my carboy brush isn't really stiff enough to get good scrubbing.  I'll have to get one - and clearly label it :)
Tom Schmidlin