Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dead mouse in my carboy  (Read 9262 times)

Offline speter

• 1st Kit
  • Somerville, NJ
Re: dead mouse in my carboy
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »
I guess the real question is: do late mouse additions contribute more to the aroma?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:50 am »
I guess the real question is: do late mouse additions contribute more to the aroma?

Definately aroma and I can tell you it doesn't fade quickly ( why do those little bastards always die in the walls!!! )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 07:58:41 am »
While on the subject, I ended up making a humane mouse trap out of my grain bucket. I left the empty but not cleaned bucket w/o a lid in the basement and the next morning I had two mice in it. They must have fallen into it after being attracted by the grain smell.

The kids got a kick out of it and the wife didn’t even want to come within 10 ft of the bucket.

Kai

jaybeerman

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 11:47:02 am »
"Hey we found a dead mouse in our beer eh. Uh, that means you owe us a free case." - the best beer movie ever

I like the chili brush idea.  Reminds me of a friend’s story, he had unexpected guests showing up at dinner time a little too frequently.  So after dinner he invited them to stay and relax while he did the dishes, real quick.  He called the dogs and let them lick each dinner plate clean before putting them back into the cupboards.  Go figure but for whatever reason those folks don't come by so much anymore.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »
Mouse hops.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline speter

• 1st Kit
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:43 am »
Mouse hops.

Pellets, of course.

connect the dots, free association, whatever. this reminded me of the episode of the Red Green show where Red turns a washing machine into a brewing system. he didn't really know what hops were, neither did any of the other Possum Lodge members, but he knew that rabbits hop, rabbit food is little green pellets, ergo rabbit food must be hops..... and in they went. hilarious episode.

just did a quick search on you tube. lots of Red Green clips, but didn't see this one. maybe someone better at searching could find it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 06:39:51 am »
LOVE the Red and Green show.......

A washer as a brewing setup....... hmmmmmm takes sparging to a whoooooole new level. Maybe I can re-label the control panel.....Ale, Lager, Stout....... ;D

jaybeerman

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »
Well brewbarr I just suffered some "instant karma" for my comments.  Looks like I get to scrubb a mouse from a 3 gallon carboy that I hadn't used in 10 years.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »

A washer as a brewing setup....... hmmmmmm takes sparging to a whoooooole new level. Maybe I can re-label the control panel.....Ale, Lager, Stout....... ;D

Might be a way to make a centrifuge out of a washer. Then one could spin the yeast etc out instead of filtering.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 12:41:03 pm »

Might be a way to make a centrifuge out of a washer. Then one could spin the yeast etc out instead of filtering.

hell yes, Red wouldn't worry about anything as ephemeral as oxidation. go for it!!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 07:57:47 pm »
But, will it include the use of duct tape?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

Dry mousing is where it's at.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 10:20:41 am »
The Dropkick Murphys have a song called "Good Rats..." about some rats that drowned themselves in a barrel of Guinness.. I don't know if its actually true or not, but it's a fun song and this topic reminded me of that. 

Has anyone suggested "Dead Mouse Ale?" 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
When I was younger I remember hearing an urban legend that a long time ago rats were found in the "vats" at guinness.  The rats were removed but the beer tasted different.  To correct the flavor, guinness started adding raw meat when making the beer.

I had no knowledge of brewing at the time so I don't even know what "vats" we could be talking about - and being a young uninformed kid I think I actually believed this story.  At that time all anyone drank was yellow fizz so guinesse really was a mystery to me.

Thinking about it now it's just about the funniest thing I've ever heard.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge