Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: been doing a project on a craft brewery for months now  (Read 959 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
been doing a project on a craft brewery for months now
« on: August 08, 2021, 12:38:10 pm »
i am a homebrewer of course, and i love beer..

but making beer work is making me not want to even think about beer anymore.

lol, maybe i don't have the beer dedication some of you guys who made this your livelihood have!

had to vent. so tired of this project.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: been doing a project on a craft brewery for months now
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 02:25:20 pm »
that is exactly how I feel. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 05:54:00 pm »
Working in a brewery is definitely not for everyone. Homebrewing is a lot of fun. Brewery work is work. Usually it is very hard work.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 05:55:26 am »
Prior to my retirement, I was offered a part time job in a small nearby brewery.  I contemplated the notion for months.  I decided not to take the job because I was afraid the hobby I love would become “work” and I would end up disliking it.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 09:33:43 am »
   Work is work, and many of us will always be working on one thing or another because it's just the way we are. I'd think working in a brewery would be more interesting and rewarding than a lot of other kinds of hard work, like pouring concrete or roofing. I finally was able to brew again Saturday, first time in 3 months and it flat out kicked my a$$, but I was really pleased that I finally was recovered enough to be able to return to doing physically demanding work.
   As for ruining one's enjoyment of something by doing it for a living, I made a living [barely] as a Tinner for almost 30 years, but still enjoy making stuff with sheet metal, enough so that I have an 8' brake in the back room of my building. Some people can't stand work, some people can't stand to not work.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 09:58:55 am »
   Work is work, and many of us will always be working on one thing or another because it's just the way we are. I'd think working in a brewery would be more interesting and rewarding than a lot of other kinds of hard work, like pouring concrete or roofing. I finally was able to brew again Saturday, first time in 3 months and it flat out kicked my a$$, but I was really pleased that I finally was recovered enough to be able to return to doing physically demanding work.
   As for ruining one's enjoyment of something by doing it for a living, I made a living [barely] as a Tinner for almost 30 years, but still enjoy making stuff with sheet metal, enough so that I have an 8' brake in the back room of my building. Some people can't stand work, some people can't stand to not work.

And on the other side, I was in the music biz one way or another for over 50 years.  I can hardly stand to listen to music now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 11:38:47 am »
thanks for the comments guys. that was a grueling last few days, but i got a near perfect score on the project (its not work, its my post-grad).

can't wait to brew again, will be doing so right after i finish the exams.

i was a teacher for a decade, and i couldnt keep doing it as a career (talking to children all day every day becomes extremely tiresome). moving on to an as yet not fully realized business future.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 12:42:00 pm »

Way better than pouring concrete or roofing for absolute sure. And many, many other labor jobs. Working and running a brewery didn't kill my passion for brewing. In fact I may have more passion for brewing now than I have ever had. That said, I still dread going to work somedays and I look forward to getting home every day, just like any other job.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 08:05:38 pm »
Funny, I have been using a brew-on-premises concept for my MBA class over the past few months as well.  Bounced the idea of Majorvices, but looks like Alabama homebrewing laws would have to change to make it work.  I did join Free the Hops and will reach out to the Brewers guild with the idea on my next break from class, after brewing some beer for football tailgates this fall. 
I am an Auburn Alum, my wife and daughter are Ohio State alumni but we are going to Navy football games this fall because we live in DC and my old Skipper has tickets and invites us to this tailgate. 
I am going to put some lager into some 1 gallon kegs for easier transport.  Anyone used them before with any success?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 10:32:11 am »

Way better than pouring concrete or roofing for absolute sure. And many, many other labor jobs. Working and running a brewery didn't kill my passion for brewing. In fact I may have more passion for brewing now than I have ever had. That said, I still dread going to work somedays and I look forward to getting home every day, just like any other job.

And on the flip side, as much as I enjoy brewing, there are some brew days that aren't enjoyable at all, like 16 hours of double batching a 1.110 monster beer. It's not always fun but man oh man do I ever enjoy the fruits of the labor.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!