Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil ph vs pre boil vs flameout  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Boil ph vs pre boil vs flameout
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 06:33:37 am »
So what exactly is the difference between, adjusting pre boil pH and boil pH? What does adjusting at those different times do?Or is it the same thing?

The higher the boil pH the greater the utilization of the hops (and also the greater their harshness).  If you want to minimize hop addition mass while maximizing IBU's at the same time, enter the boil at a higher pH.

But if you want to maximize hot break and minimize finings mass, you must hit pH 5.1-5.2 before introducing finings (such as Irish Moss or Whirlfloc).

If you want the very smoothest hop bitterness, and you are willing to use more hops, add acid pre-boil (sufficient to hit 5.1-5.2 pH post boil and cooling).  If you want to maximize $$ economy as to both hops and finings expense, add the same qty. of acid with only about 10 minutes remaining in the boil, before finings.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:40:12 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 08:20:54 am »
So what exactly is the difference between, adjusting pre boil pH and boil pH? What does adjusting at those different times do?Or is it the same thing?

The higher the boil pH the greater the utilization of the hops (and also the greater their harshness).  If you want to minimize hop addition mass while maximizing IBU's at the same time, enter the boil at a higher pH.

But if you want to maximize hot break and minimize finings mass, you must hit pH 5.1-5.2 before introducing finings (such as Irish Moss or Whirlfloc).

If you want the very smoothest hop bitterness, and you are willing to use more hops, add acid pre-boil (sufficient to hit 5.1-5.2 pH post boil and cooling).  If you want to maximize $$ economy as to both hops and finings expense, add the same qty. of acid with only about 10 minutes remaining in the boil, before finings.
Clear, concise information.  Very helpful. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 08:35:40 am »
...What would happen if you boil at 5.1 - 5.2?  I have no idea.  Would it be just fine, would it cause clarity, etc?  No idea.  ...

I accidentally found out a few brews ago with a British Golden Ale. For some reason my mash pH was around 5.1 and I expected slow conversion, but it went rapidly and as efficiently as usual. The beer was light in color and the wort clarity seemed normal. It took some time to clear in the keg, but ended up a very clear and crisp beer that was so good I will do it again in a couple of weeks. If the pH had been 4.1 I would have expected big changes, but 5.1 - 5.2  is not that big a deal.

That is my experience also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell