Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First beer, no bad  (Read 2400 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: First beer, no bad
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 04:50:48 pm »
Could be simply that chinook hops aren't your vibe. Chinook does seem an odd choice for a single-hop beer. Those other beers have centennial, cascade, and columbus hops in them. You might try these hops instead of or in addition to chinook. This would get you closer to the hop profile of the beers you mention.

I also highly suggest giving samples of your brews to knowledgable homebrewers (if you know any) and/or commercial brewers, i.e. people with experienced palates. There is no shortage of breweries where you live, and commercial brewers are usually cool with trying homebrewers' beers and giving feedback.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 09:03:01 pm »
Palmer's "How to Brew" is a standard reference that you'll keep going back to.

However, in my opinion Randy Mosher's "Tasting Beer" is much better written and actually entertaining. Much lighter on the brewing skills but heavier on understanding how brewing processes create flavors.

Palmer is so knowledgeable about beer that struggles to relate information without it sounding like a DMV manual.

Other than that, keep brewing, take notes on EVERYTHING, and keep changing things until it's what you want to drink.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:25 am »
Were you able to control the fermentation temperature or did you just ferment at room temp? The temperature of fermentation is crucial to brewing great beer.

Brewing is a craft and like any craft the more you do it the better you get at it. If you pick up a good homebrewing book, like How To Brew, by John Palmer, you will find lots of information that will vastly improve your beer.

Sorry for the delayed response   been busy working.  I put the fermentor in my unplugged keggerator and kept it in the high 60's low 70's if I remember correctly.  So, I guess to answer your question, yes, I did have a somewhat controlled temp 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 12:54:21 am »
The biggest impact change I've made with my brewing was fermenting in kegs, and doing closed transfers to purged kegs.

This guy just brewed his first beer.  Slow down.

LOL.  Thank you, I have no idea what he means, and I'm starting slow to keep my wife off my tail.  LOL 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 12:58:54 am »
Thanks to all who replied.  I have found a few kits on the internet for Blind Pig and Racer 5 that I am going to give a try.  There is a MoreBeer place about 30 mins from me and the guy there was really helpful setting me up with a keg and the needed lines and connections, so I am going to go there when I am ready for my next batch.  So far, it has been pretty cool, and as I get more comfortable, I am going to try adding and subtracting to see what I can come up with.  Thanks to all who replied, all info is good info.  RR

Offline wesbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:36 pm »
sounds good but if you explain what was wrong with the beer you made, or what you wanted,  everyone could offer some advice on how to improve it to your liking. Might be a good learning experience too.
🍺 Pouring cold beer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:56 pm »
sounds good but if you explain what was wrong with the beer you made, or what you wanted,  everyone could offer some advice on how to improve it to your liking. Might be a good learning experience too.

Thank you for your reply.  I guess I am not sure what I want, being so new to the whole hobby.  In my first post I mentioned liking IPA's in the vein of Racer 5, Blind Pig and another called Brew Free or Die.  I am not very good at explaining, so I was looking for any input I could get.  Nothing was wrong with the beer I made, I have enjoyed many pints so far, but it just didn't have quite the taste I prefer.  I will surely drink it thought.  LOL. 

Anyway, thank you for your reply, I appreciate all input and welcome any information. 

RR

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 07:51:13 am »
Were you able to control the fermentation temperature or did you just ferment at room temp? The temperature of fermentation is crucial to brewing great beer.

Brewing is a craft and like any craft the more you do it the better you get at it. If you pick up a good homebrewing book, like How To Brew, by John Palmer, you will find lots of information that will vastly improve your beer.

Sorry for the delayed response   been busy working.  I put the fermentor in my unplugged keggerator and kept it in the high 60's low 70's if I remember correctly.  So, I guess to answer your question, yes, I did have a somewhat controlled temp

I recommend looking at an inexpensive external thermostat and one of the stick of thermometers for your fermenter (sometimes called a "Fermometer"). You will find that precise temperature control will greatly increase the quality of your beer. fermentation is exothermic and can sometimes be +6°F over ambient. That means, if your ambient temneprature was low high 60s/low 70s your fermentation temp would have been on the warmish side. Most American Ale yeast di best under 68-70 fermentation temp. So the ambient temp needs to be in the low 60s.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 03:54:49 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  I guess I am not sure what I want, being so new to the whole hobby.  In my first post I mentioned liking IPA's in the vein of Racer 5, Blind Pig and another called Brew Free or Die.  I am not very good at explaining, so I was looking for any input I could get.  Nothing was wrong with the beer I made, I have enjoyed many pints so far, but it just didn't have quite the taste I prefer.  I will surely drink it thought.  LOL. 

IPAs cover a wide range these days. Some have tons of hop flavor with little bitterness, others have "face-puckering" bitterness. I think that Blind Pig, and to a lesser extent, Racer 5 are both in the category with strong bitterness. To get the bitterness to come through properly you need to have the water chemistry right. You need a high sulfate level to accentuate the bitterness and crispness from the hops. Kits usually don't say anything about water chemistry, and it is considered an advanced brewing topic. However, you can experiment a bit even after brewing. Add small amounts of gypsum (calcium sulfate) to a glass of your beer and see if that makes it taste more like what you want. Start very small, no more than 0.2 grams or 1/16 tsp and go from there. If you can't get any gypsum you could try Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) in similarly small quantities. Be sure you get the kind rated for being food grade, not the lavender scented stuff for bathing!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 03:33:37 pm »

IPAs cover a wide range these days. Some have tons of hop flavor with little bitterness, others have "face-puckering" bitterness. I think that Blind Pig, and to a lesser extent, Racer 5 are both in the category with strong bitterness. To get the bitterness to come through properly you need to have the water chemistry right. You need a high sulfate level to accentuate the bitterness and crispness from the hops. Kits usually don't say anything about water chemistry, and it is considered an advanced brewing topic. However, you can experiment a bit even after brewing. Add small amounts of gypsum (calcium sulfate) to a glass of your beer and see if that makes it taste more like what you want. Start very small, no more than 0.2 grams or 1/16 tsp and go from there. If you can't get any gypsum you could try Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) in similarly small quantities. Be sure you get the kind rated for being food grade, not the lavender scented stuff for bathing!

Awesome info, thank you.  I might try that just for the heck of it.  I have been drinking what I made and it is growing on me.  LOL.  Thank god, cause I have 5 gallons of it to drink.  Anyway, thanks to you and all who posted.  I am just soaking up all the info and going from there.   My next keg will be a blind pig or racer 5 clone just for the heck of it.  Then I might start fooling around with adding hops into the boild at the 15, 10 or finish times as that seems to be the popular way to go.